Kangnam Profile: Kangnam Facts
Kangnam is a Japanese-Korean singer, model and television personality under JA Entertainment. He debuted on October 26, 2011 as a member of the group “M.I.B“.
Stage Name: Kangnam (강남)
Birth Name: Namekawa Yasuo (滑川康男)
Birthday: March 23, 1987
Birthplace: Tokyo, Japan
Zodiac Sign: Aries
Height: 177cm (5’9”)
Weight: 64kg (141lbs)
Blood Type: A
– Kangnam’s mother is Japanese and his father is Korean.
– He spent most of his childhood in Japan, and also spent some years in Hawaii.
– His hobbies are composing, web surfing, snowboarding, doing sports, watching movies and vocal exercises.
– His special talents include English, playing the guitar and playing the piano.
– Kangnam is interested in acting.
– In March 2008, he debuted with the Japanese band KCB (Kick Chop Busters), with the stage name “Ya-Cha“.
– He left KCB in 2010 for unknown reasons.
– Kangnam attended the Hawaiian Mission Academy in Honolulu and transferred to another school to finish high school.
– He also attended the Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and was majoring in Communications. However, he left the school to pursue music instead.
– Kangnam said that his family is wealthy, but he doesn’t receive any financial support from them.
– On October 25 2011, Kangnam debuted as a member of “M.I.B“, where he was the main vocalist, under the label Jungle Entertainment.
– In 2012, he appeared in a CF for Epson (Electronics Company).
– In the same year, Kangnam got his first acting role in the tvN sitcom “21st Century Family”. He also became the host of the Japanese version of Mnet‘s Jjang.
– In October 2014, he became a permanent cast member on MBC‘s “I Live Alone”.
– In November 2014, he became an exclusive model for ABC Mart together with model Nam Joohyuk.
– At the end of 2014, Kangnam participated at a year-end festival as an MC, where he was part of the “Lucky Boys” project for 2014 SBS Gayo Daejun.
– He then opened up about attending year-end festivals for the first time after his debut. “Singers usually appear on TV to sing at the end of each year. Every year, I have been watching TV thinking ‘I’ll do that next year.’ and somehow four years have passed.”
– Kangnam released his second solo track “What Do I Do” on December 26, 2014, which then soon became #1 on Daum’s real time charts.
– He also ranked #1 on several searches, including Naver, Melon, Mnet and more.
– He started gaining huge popularity through variety shows.
– There was also a time where he worried a lot, because people started seeing him as a variety show entertainer rather than a singer. That was also why he decided to make a comeback as a singer.
– In the interview “Pops in Seoul”, he mentioned that cute things seem to suit him more. Based on that, he explained that’s why his song “Chocolate” became even cuter. He then added, “I liked it.”
– He seems to know San.E quite well. As he revealed that he had played a prank on him and then added that San.E is kind-hearted, very nice and naive.
– As his song wasn’t doing well on charts, CNBLUE‘s Yonghwa explained to him that music is different from variety shows and acting. Kangnam agreed that music is more difficult, but fun. So he wants to keep at it.
– In the interview “Pops in Seoul” back in 2015, he revealed that he enjoy’s what he’s doing and wants to desperately keep doing music. That’s his goal.
– In February 2015, he was appointed as the honorary ambassador for the fourth KCON music festival for its first time in Japan.
– He then stated that his fluency in both languages will allow him to act as the bridge between the exchange of culture from both countries.
– Kangnam released his Japanese solo debut on May 25, 2016 under CJ Victor Entertainment. The single album was called “Ready To Fly“.
– He used to be in a relationship with UEE, but they were both busy with their acting career and felt burdened by the publicity of their relationship, so they broke up. (Source via BNT Interview)
– As he revealed himself, he is not the type to hide his relationship, however, he doesn’t want the other person to find their relationship tiring.
Written by @abcexcuseme (@menmeong & @broken_goddess)
Note: Please don’t copy-paste the content of this page to other sites/places on the web. If you use info from our profile, please kindly put a link to this post. Thanks a lot! 🙂 – Kprofiles.com
Latest Korean comeback:
Do you know more facts about Kangnam? Feel free to comment below. 🙂