Kpop Rants ( Feel free to rant about Kpop here )

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sanasideup

divin’ to the galaxy with you
Staff member
Editor
Website
pinkbarbiebandaid.carrd.co
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
Honestly I also just hate when people freak out about plastic surgery that much. Like geez just leave the idol alone. They always just assume the company forced them and it’s never considered maybe they just wanted to.
Plastic surgery is a very complicated topic but imo what people do with their bodies isn’t my business
so many ppl pull the "the company made them!1!!1!" card when they...don't. i think the only time i've ever heard of a company making an idol get plastic surgery against their will is jessi. there was also the grp six bomb who had a plastic surgery concept, but the procedures were minor (jaw tucks, nose jobs, etc) and the members wanted those procedures before they had that concept. (also, not counting mole removal bc a) that can be for health and b) jyp had seungmin remove a mole from his face, but i'm pretty sure seungmin willingly agreed bc jyp offered the same thing to mina and she got to say no)

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
so many ppl pull the "the company made them!1!!1!" card when they...don't. i think the only time i've ever heard of a company making an idol get plastic surgery against their will is jessi. there was also the grp six bomb who had a plastic surgery concept, but the procedures were minor (jaw tucks, nose jobs, etc) and the members wanted those procedures before they had that concept. (also, not counting mole removal bc a) that can be for health and b) jyp had seungmin remove a mole from his face, but i'm pretty sure seungmin willingly agreed bc jyp offered the same thing to mina and she got to say no)
People just have this massive fear of their idols having free will which is ironic.
They complain about the company controlling them but then like it’s never even considered maybe this was their own choice. And that goes for all things really. Controversial comments, songs, behaviours. Plastic surgery. Even styling

sanasideup

Staff member
Editor
Website
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
People just have this massive fear of their idols having free will which is ironic.
They complain about the company controlling them but then like it’s never even considered maybe this was their own choice. And that goes for all things really. Controversial comments, songs, behaviours. Plastic surgery. Even styling
exactly! or when ppl say that their faves aren't dating bc it's against their contract. like, so you're telling me you don't think ppl break rules?? you've never done smth you technically weren't supposed to?? like, seungyeon from clc. she's never had a public relationship, but she was in a youtube video w ashley and sorn the other day on ashley's channel and seungyeon said that she...has dated a celebrity. after her debut. and then she, sorn, and ashley all said "idols are dating. almost all of them are or have."

I see that Im icy

Kpop Groupie
Website
chaebrina.carrd.co
Credits
Username Change
Seori
Iree
Karina
I have been thinking about this a lot recently, and I just wanted to comment it here. I've seen that many hispanic music youtubers kinda hate kpop. Not just the fans, but kpop itself. A thing that I noticed while watching those videos, is that they only talk about Blackpink and BTS's new songs. I understand that those youtubers make career reviews of western artists, but seeing how they reduce kpop to such little things makes me mad. They say things like "kpop lacks uniqueness, all the songs are the same" or even "they brainwash teens with plastic surgery and soulless music". While the last statement is true at a point, I don't think it fits the industry as a whole. There are lots of kpop songs that are very unique and you won't hear something like that ever again. In conclusion, I don't hate BP but the way it presents kpop music... isn't convinving. And if you take a deeper look, BP is the most appealing group for western audience, so saying that kpop is dry is kinda hypocritical in that sense.

Mi Shook

Kpop Amateur
currently france but mostly in my own world
Website
www.instagram.com
Credits
You actually raise quite a big thing here. I don't think it specifically comes from Hispanic Youtubers, i felt that a lot from many people. It can almost be painful to note that most non-korean or non-asian publics have a very narrow-minded caricatural vision of k-pop. They seem to believe there is no diversity or true creativity, as if these songs and performances were the art of robots lol. However i think we have to considerate that Labels do participate in spreading this "bland" image. We have a true example of that trend with BTS : here was a group with powerful songs bringing up rebellion, youth problems, difficulties in finding our path in such an individualist and capitalist society, sexism, depression... and now that they've reached the American market it's very conventionnal, fun and cool and stuff but so... formulaic ? This is a will from the companies. To everyone who's not into K-pop, all the songs, mvs and even idols are the same, like copies or clones, and to them it's weird and funny (plus totally deshumanizing...)

But even if this is deliberate, Youtubers/producers or just music enthusiasts should make the effort to go deeper. Many american songs are conventional and trendy af lol. At one point we'll have to adress the possible issue of racism in such a treatment. There is some kind of paternalism idk, from American artists, to see Korean idols like cute brilliant dolls while they are true, grown up artists and performers. It's irritating.

As you pointed out, at one point this is a choice : you go to the surface and express a superficial opinion, or you try to understand if there is something else (something more !) behind the curtain. We did it, why can't they ? 😽

Thanks for bringing up the subject anyways !

I see that Im icy

Kpop Groupie
Website
chaebrina.carrd.co
Credits
Username Change
Seori
Iree
Karina
You actually raise quite a big thing here. I don't think it specifically comes from Hispanic Youtubers, i felt that a lot from many people. It can almost be painful to note that most non-korean or non-asian publics have a very narrow-minded caricatural vision of k-pop. They seem to believe there is no diversity or true creativity, as if these songs and performances were the art of robots lol. However i think we have to considerate that Labels do participate in spreading this "bland" image. We have a true example of that trend with BTS : here was a group with powerful songs bringing up rebellion, youth problems, difficulties in finding our path in such an individualist and capitalist society, sexism, depression... and now that they've reached the American market it's very conventionnal, fun and cool and stuff but so... formulaic ? This is a will from the companies. To everyone who's not into K-pop, all the songs, mvs and even idols are the same, like copies or clones, and to them it's weird and funny (plus totally deshumanizing...)

But even if this is deliberate, Youtubers/producers or just music enthusiasts should make the effort to go deeper. Many american songs are conventional and trendy af lol. At one point we'll have to adress the possible issue of racism in such a treatment. There is some kind of paternalism idk, from American artists, to see Korean idols like cute brilliant dolls while they are true, grown up artists and performers. It's irritating.

As you pointed out, at one point this is a choice : you go to the surface and express a superficial opinion, or you try to understand if there is something else (something more !) behind the curtain. We did it, why can't they ? 😽

Thanks for bringing up the subject anyways !
Yeeeeessss that's true. I wouldn't say that all or most american songs are commercial and trendy but yes most of the mainstream ones.

Mi Shook

Kpop Amateur
currently france but mostly in my own world
Website
www.instagram.com
Credits
Of course not !! But there are, and popular and trendy, so it's quite hypocritical indeed when kpop songs are judged this way and only this way. There are a lot of incredible non-asian artists everywhere, obviously there are in k-pop 😑 just don't think everyting is like Butter cause you didn't go deeper (even tho i love this song haha)

anyways this subject is very cool, as kpop enthousiasts i guess it's quite important to gave a free space to express our opinions, some fans are so brainwashed it's almost impossible...

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
TW: talking about weight. I’m going to spoiler it so no one gets harmed

Okay so this was inspired by an article I saw on Twitter today which made me so fucking angry. For the sake of the idols involved I will be omitting their names.
So, the article I saw today was named “Netizens have noticed THIS IDOL has been getting prettier”.
Like what. Fuck you. That’s such a backhanded compliment. Ah congrats you’re finally pretty. Just say “netizens think THIS IDOL looks amazing in this video/picture.” Okay great you think she’s pretty but no need to imply she used to be ugly??

And that’s visuals only. The weight is no better. Everyone shoving their noses into idols weight gain and loss stories. Hate to break to you but your idols weight is none of your business. Yeah I don’t trust companies either but they’re not going to kill the idols. And then you have people asking their idols if they’ve eaten or not. NOT YOUR BUSINESS.
Also saw an article saying “THIS OTHER IDOL looks so cute now she’s gained weight” WHAT THE FUCK. JUST SAY SHE LOOKS CUTE HER WEIGHT IS IRRELEVANT.

I get it. Asian countries have a different weight culture than the west. But it doesn’t make me any less mad or feel any less sorry for these poor idols

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
everafterentertainment.carrd.co
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
I have some beef with how SM released aespa's album.

1. Why the hell would you put out a prerelease for a MINI album. It makes sense to do so for a full album so there are a significant amount of bsides that haven't been seen.
2. Why the hell would you have TWO prereleases for a MINI ALBUM! They revealed 1/3 of the album, and if we're counting the addition of previous songs then only 4/9 of the songs on the album had not been heard.
3. In general this should have been a full album release, especially as it seems that aespa is beginning a new chapter with the mini being treated as a repackage. The way this album was promoted and hyped up pre-release makes it feel like it's supposed to be a full album. Anyways, aespa is almost at the 2 year mark and still don't have a full album???

In general, SM pulled a JYPE. Instead of released the whole ass chorus in the m/v teaser, they released 1/3-5/9 of the songs on the album. Dumb as hell.

sanasideup

Staff member
Editor
Website
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
TW: talking about weight. I’m going to spoiler it so no one gets harmed

Okay so this was inspired by an article I saw on Twitter today which made me so fucking angry. For the sake of the idols involved I will be omitting their names.
So, the article I saw today was named “Netizens have noticed THIS IDOL has been getting prettier”.
Like what. Fuck you. That’s such a backhanded compliment. Ah congrats you’re finally pretty. Just say “netizens think THIS IDOL looks amazing in this video/picture.” Okay great you think she’s pretty but no need to imply she used to be ugly??

And that’s visuals only. The weight is no better. Everyone shoving their noses into idols weight gain and loss stories. Hate to break to you but your idols weight is none of your business. Yeah I don’t trust companies either but they’re not going to kill the idols. And then you have people asking their idols if they’ve eaten or not. NOT YOUR BUSINESS.
Also saw an article saying “THIS OTHER IDOL looks so cute now she’s gained weight” WHAT THE FUCK. JUST SAY SHE LOOKS CUTE HER WEIGHT IS IRRELEVANT.

I get it. Asian countries have a different weight culture than the west. But it doesn’t make me any less mad or feel any less sorry for these poor idols
i completely agree, but the asking if they've eaten thing isn't abt their weight. in a lot of cultures (including korean culture and a lot of other asian cultures), asking someone if they've eaten is a sign of caring. similar to the way we'd say "how are you?" when we actually want to know, they say "have you eaten?"

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
i completely agree, but the asking if they've eaten thing isn't abt their weight. in a lot of cultures (including korean culture and a lot of other asian cultures), asking someone if they've eaten is a sign of caring. similar to the way we'd say "how are you?" when we actually want to know, they say "have you eaten?"
Hm. I guess. If it is a general thing though it’s defo something people should try to drop as it could be harmful to some people. Imo that’s a question only very close friends and relatives should be asking

sanasideup

Staff member
Editor
Website
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
Hm. I guess. If it is a general thing though it’s defo something people should try to drop as it could be harmful to some people. Imo that’s a question only very close friends and relatives should be asking
yeah. it is weird that kpop fans who don't even know the idol (and therefore can't truly care abt them) are asking that question, i will admit

I see that Im icy

Kpop Groupie
Website
chaebrina.carrd.co
Credits
Username Change
Seori
Iree
Karina
The have you eaten thing is very true. It's not just true, but if you go to Korea everyone says have you eaten and not are u ok?
So much they use it that even a friend who subs kpop songs & social media captions writes "are you ok?" instead of what they actually say. It's more like slang.

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
Bit different from my other rants I just need to wallow a little bit.

I feel like a bad person. I refuse to call myself a bad fan because in my opinion there is no correct way to be a fan. But I still feel a bit guilty. I hate the way Midzys were spewing all this “trust ITZY” bs and how they make people who dislike songs (not just these ones) feel like they’re bad. I couldn’t care less what midzy think. I just feel sorry for ITZY themselves. I’m not obliged to like their music, and when you become a musician you have to expect sometimes things like this will happen and people will dislike what you create. But I don’t think that changes the fact it still hurts. I think I find it easy to empathise with people a lot, so this is probably why it’s bothering me.
Imagine being in their position, with everyone speculating your song, which you put hard work into, is a prank. Like based on the teasers they think your piece is that bad they’re hoping it’s not real. It must feel so humiliating. People not liking a song is normal but to that extent… and I feel guilty that I was part of the group hoping it was a joke. It hurt me the most when I saw a post that was from Lia’s bubble this morning that something like “Midzys like our song I’m so glad” and it just broke my heart. They must’ve been holding their breath just waiting for this day, worried they would get so much backlash. Again. I’m not going to pretend to like a song I don’t, and I think anyone who pretends is doing more harm than good. I’m disappointed with this comeback and it’s set me back a little with my love for the girls but I don’t want to lose hope just yet (it’s just one comeback after all). But still, my heart aches for artists who have to deal with stuff like this because I never could

I see that Im icy

Kpop Groupie
Website
chaebrina.carrd.co
Credits
Username Change
Seori
Iree
Karina
Bit different from my other rants I just need to wallow a little bit.

I feel like a bad person. I refuse to call myself a bad fan because in my opinion there is no correct way to be a fan. But I still feel a bit guilty. I hate the way Midzys were spewing all this “trust ITZY” bs and how they make people who dislike songs (not just these ones) feel like they’re bad. I couldn’t care less what midzy think. I just feel sorry for ITZY themselves. I’m not obliged to like their music, and when you become a musician you have to expect sometimes things like this will happen and people will dislike what you create. But I don’t think that changes the fact it still hurts. I think I find it easy to empathise with people a lot, so this is probably why it’s bothering me.
Imagine being in their position, with everyone speculating your song, which you put hard work into, is a prank. Like based on the teasers they think your piece is that bad they’re hoping it’s not real. It must feel so humiliating. People not liking a song is normal but to that extent… and I feel guilty that I was part of the group hoping it was a joke. It hurt me the most when I saw a post that was from Lia’s bubble this morning that something like “Midzys like our song I’m so glad” and it just broke my heart. They must’ve been holding their breath just waiting for this day, worried they would get so much backlash. Again. I’m not going to pretend to like a song I don’t, and I think anyone who pretends is doing more harm than good. I’m disappointed with this comeback and it’s set me back a little with my love for the girls but I don’t want to lose hope just yet (it’s just one comeback after all). But still, my heart aches for artists who have to deal with stuff like this because I never could
I think that's the exact reason why I didn't comment on the tiktok teaser post. I know they very probably don't know the mere existence of this website, but I feel like they take a little bit of time to check the comments in popular SM. There was a comment that said "take off your sneakers and put on your crowns". If I was an idol, who sings what other people tell me to sing, practices a dance 24/7 till it looks perfect, puts her soul into what she does, I'd feel a little dissapointed. Not with the fans, but with the directors and managers. Idk, maybe they liked their own song, or if not I don't care. Everytime I make a negative comment about kpop in social media, I take in mind that idols are pressured to make the public like their song. If not, many of them are treated as failures. It's not like I never dislike a song, but unless if an idol is the producer of a song, I always try to be little to no rude and not mention nor the idols nor the group.

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
I think that's the exact reason why I didn't comment on the tiktok teaser post. I know they very probably don't know the mere existence of this website, but I feel like they take a little bit of time to check the comments in popular SM. There was a comment that said "take off your sneakers and put on your crowns". If I was an idol, who sings what other people tell me to sing, practices a dance 24/7 till it looks perfect, puts her soul into what she does, I'd feel a little dissapointed. Not with the fans, but with the directors and managers. Idk, maybe they liked their own song, or if not I don't care. Everytime I make a negative comment about kpop in social media, I take in mind that idols are pressured to make the public like their song. If not, many of them are treated as failures. It's not like I never dislike a song, but unless if an idol is the producer of a song, I always try to be little to no rude and not mention nor the idols nor the group.
Yeah I try really hard to use phrases such as “in my opinion” or “for me” whenever I have an opinion that’s negative as I really never want to make statements that claim things are “good” or “bad”, as having subjective opinions is not the same as a fact. I don’t think there’s any harm in having regular discussions about things and I still stand by my opinion if you’re a celebrity and can’t handle any kind of criticism you’re in the wrong profession. But there was like one comment I made where I used the blanket statement “bad” instead of “I didn’t like it” which I don’t like. At the time I was tired and disappointed so I sorta just said it without thinking which is wrong.
It’s really hard to know an artist’s true opinions of a song, as it’s very rare an artist will be honest they dislike a song, and if they do it’ll usually be way after promotions have finished as they don’t want to sabotage their work (it is a profession after all). I just hope if they do like the song they have fun promoting it because some grumpy people on the internet shouldn’t change their pride

vivianna

薇:威
Author
Website
ah-wei.carrd.co
Credits
Helio Niccolo
Dekis Solon
✧ The Boyz Younghoon ✧
The Untamed
I hate it when idols who don't know mandarin make a Chinese version and don't pronounce the syllables clearly. I don't care if you don't know the language and basically say random sounds that sound somewhat like what the real words are. Say it with confidence. It's not like anyone can understand half of what people say in songs anyways because they always change the pronunciation to fit the tune.

sanasideup

Staff member
Editor
Website
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
I hate it when idols who don't know mandarin make a Chinese version and don't pronounce the syllables clearly. I don't care if you don't know the language and basically say random sounds that sound somewhat like what the real words are. Say it with confidence. It's not like anyone can understand half of what people say in songs anyways because they always change the pronunciation to fit the tune.
what are some chinese versions where they don't pronounce the syllables correctly? i'm just curious lol

vivianna

Author
Website
ah-wei.carrd.co
Credits
Helio Niccolo
Dekis Solon
✧ The Boyz Younghoon ✧
The Untamed
what are some chinese versions where they don't pronounce the syllables correctly? i'm just curious lol
this came to my mind after listening only one song lol

it was the Chinese version of better by boa with xin. I noticed boa wasn't really pronouncing the syllables clearly and at first, I blamed it on the audio but I then heard xin who sang much clearer than boa.

I'm not sure if you meant clearly or correctly because for correctly, I don't really know. It's always hard to tell because the pronunciation isn't exact.

vivianna

Author
Website
ah-wei.carrd.co
Credits
Helio Niccolo
Dekis Solon
✧ The Boyz Younghoon ✧
The Untamed
this came to my mind after listening only one song lol

it was the Chinese version of better by boa with xin. I noticed boa wasn't really pronouncing the syllables clearly and at first, I blamed it on the audio but I then heard xin who sang much clearer than boa.

I'm not sure if you meant clearly or correctly because for correctly, I don't really know. It's always hard to tell because the pronunciation isn't exact.
Ill do a little bit of research.