҉  Official Unpopular Kpop Opinions Thread ҉ 

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

escapism

𖤣 𝓶𝓲𝓷 𝓪𝓲𝓵𝓲𝓷 ⨳
Staff member
iShop Manager
Editor
Author
V.I.P.
Credits
✧ Captain Price ✧
Death Note
I seriously couldn't stop replaying 마.피.아. In the morning in my head all day today and I didn't even really like the song at first but now it's a different story 😔 #thepowerofitzy

yawnzzn

Band Leader
Credits
CHERRY
My Melody
Kuromi
Pompompurin
Personally, I do believe BTS paved the way but they didn't do it alone. No one else has ever come close to BTS' success so to say that they just straight up didn't makes zero sense. A lot of kpop acts have made kpop known in the west but the kpop fandom was still very much niche until BTS broke out. Yes, PSY did make it known but what it mostly did was allow racist Americans to brand all Asians crazy and over the top (like PSY's on stage character). But when BTS broke out, that's when some people started to take kpop as a whole more seriously (of course kpop will always have it's haters and it took awhile for the mainstream to take BTS more seriously and not just use them for ratings which they still do but it doesn't seem as often). BTS is the first taste of kpop a lot on non stans see. So that would literally give them the title of paving the way. Sure others have broken into the market before but none like BTS.

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
everafterentertainment.carrd.co
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
I'm feeling brave so I'm gonna drop some truly unpopular opinions:

-Mina isn't main dancer material.
Okay I'm not saying she's a bad dancer, she is very good. But she is not near Momo's level, maybe even Jihyo or Sana. I think Mina was given the main dancer role because of her background in ballet. However, idol dancing is nothing like ballet. I should know, I trained in ballet for 16 years and suck at idol dancing. She has the same issues I have with isolations, sharp and intense dancing, power in her moves, and stage presence. She is also rarely given main dancer roles such as being in dance breaks or getting special stages unless they are ballet themed. Jihyo is often the one that gets those. For example, last year when she did that collab stage with Taemin and Momo. I just don't get the hype when there are better dancers in Twice. Again, I am not saying she is bad, she is fantastic and I'm jealous of her skill. I also think she would thrive in a group that does more delicate concepts, and less JYP style dancing. For example Oh My Girl and Lovelyz. (I've also watched a lot of analysis videos by pro dancers to know what I'm saying isn't ludicrous.)

-I prefer the remixed/orchestrated version of Monsta X's "Hero".

-Punch-NCT 127 and Ridin-NCT Dream aren't up to par with other NCT songs.
They just feel like leftover songs that SM threw at the boys cause they needed a song. The boys executed the songs perfectly, the songs just seem to lack originality. No shade if you like these songs, we all have different tastes in music.

-I still don't like "Dynamite".
The amount of vocal effects they layered on top of their actual nice to hear vocals was too jarring for me. Also, please don't make the excuse that they did that because their English wasn't good enough, cause they did the same thing with nearly every song on MOTS7. It's a stylistic choice at this point and I hope they don't use it in their upcoming release.

-Just because one dancer has better stage presence than another doesn't mean that they are a better dancer.
I see sooooo many idols called the best dancer of their group or the best dancer of a gen, when it's because they have amazing stage presence. Sure stage presence is essential to dancing, but dance is rooted in technique and would be nothing without it.
Some examples....also not saying any of these people are bad dancers, they are all amazing and I love watching them. I'm just trying to express my frustrations actually being a classical trained dancer and seeing non dancers make these claims.
-Hyunjin of SKZ
-San of ATEEZ
-Juyeon of TBZ
-Sort of Yeji-ITZY
*Again they are all amazing dancers*

-Not a fan of collabs with western artists, nor with songs being targeted to the western market.
I stopped listening to western music for a reason. Kpop is special and I think it should remain authentic.
But I'm a hypocrite, cause I'm a simp for Monsta X's English album.

That's all...*prepares to be attacked*
Please respect my opinion.

enhypen_jay

Kpop Groupie
Credits
Sunoo
Yuri
Jake
Jay
I wanna say this in the nicest way possible but one thing that really bugs me about a lot of kpop songs is that it just seems like the raps in their songs are so forced. so many idol rappers, especially girl group rappers, have much better vocals than they have rapping skills and I just feel like their songs would be so much more enjoyable to listen to if the songs didn't have the raps in there. I don't really think its the idols' fault tbh a lot of them train as something as and end up having to rap but it just sounds really forced and sometimes ruins the songs for me. this happens a lot with red velvet for me. don't get me wrong, I love them and I think they're all super talented but most of the raps in their songs are unnecessary.

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
I wanna say this in the nicest way possible but one thing that really bugs me about a lot of kpop songs is that it just seems like the raps in their songs are so forced. so many idol rappers, especially girl group rappers, have much better vocals than they have rapping skills and I just feel like their songs would be so much more enjoyable to listen to if the songs didn't have the raps in there. I don't really think its the idols' fault tbh a lot of them train as something as and end up having to rap but it just sounds really forced and sometimes ruins the songs for me. this happens a lot with red velvet for me. don't get me wrong, I love them and I think they're all super talented but most of the raps in their songs are unnecessary.
agreed, some songs just don't need a rap and some groups just don't need rappers. With a lot of groups, especially girl groups, companies will just make the weakest vocalist the rapper if there isn't a person who trained to be one. Like they feel obligated to have a rapper. Of course there are exceptions like Mimi of Oh My Girl, EXY of WJSN, Chaeyeong of Twice

yawnzzn

Band Leader
Credits
CHERRY
My Melody
Kuromi
Pompompurin
"best kpop rappers are : BTS rapline (ofc), Sunwoo (The Boyz), Changkyun and Jooheon (Monsta X), Han and Changbin (Stray Kids), Hyeran (Ex Brave Girls), and LE (EXID)"
- an actual black person​

Idolbunny🐰

♡☀ 𝑌𝑒𝑛𝑙𝑜𝑤 𝐷𝑎𝑦 ☀♡
Credits
Hitomi
User Title Change
MeiQi
Luda
Gowon Is a great rapper and a great singer who need more recognition

Im an Orbit but sincerely thee "Stan Loona" thing bothers me a little ksksksksk

Iz*One songs have great raps

Hyewon Is a big visual material

Oh My Girl have catchy and really pretty songs

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
I don't like songs that have a lot of shouting or chanting in it. It kind of hurts my ears. It's just my taste in music, I'm not saying the songs are bad. But Tag Me by Weeekly is the biggest offender for me.

I think Hyewon would be better suited as a model or actress than an idol.

I think it's strange when idols get praised for doing normal person things or get huge amounts of sympathy for normal person struggles.

Another thing I find strange is when people will make excuses for their idol lip syncing or having a bad performance (if they're not sick or injured). Or when people say idols should be given breaks (unless they are actually being mistreated/mismanaged). Being an idol is their JOB, they are supposed to do well and in a timely manner. If I just didn't show up to work cause I thought I needed a break then I would get fired. And it's not like they were forced into this career, they choose this. *again this does not apply to sick, injured, mistreated, mismanaged, or mentally ill idols*

I can't listen to Got7 songs because a lot of the members' voices just do not suit my ears. They're good singers, it's just not my taste.

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
My favourite Red Velvet album and the only one I’ve listened to all the songs on is RBB

skzlvr

Kpop Groupie
Credits
Hanse
I Am Who
people need to stop calling newly debuted kpop groups unproblematic. they just debuted meaning they probably haven't even shown what they are like outside of kpop.

some small kpop group songs are literal crap and that's why the group that writes the song are small