Should Kpop be accepting of bigger bodies?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
B

blink

I would like to state a warning. Since this might trigger some people.

What do you think?

Imo:

To a certain extent, if it's clearly unhealthy then no. We should not condone to people that are clearly damaging their health w their weight. It doesn't matter if you weigh a lot or not but being too thin can be damaging along w weighing too much. If an Idol even weighs a bit more than others fans or Knets bash them, if they weigh more than less they are praised. This is damaging to both fans and the idol. Quite alot of idols start young. And w diets being forced onto them, it can damage their growth along w their self-esteem. There's quite alot of young Kpop fans, like myself. I used to ALWAYS compare myself to idols. Which really damaged my emotional well-being. I want to speak more about this but I'll shut up :<

XionMinho

Face of The Group
Website
mmt.fans
Credits
Bang Chan
Jaemin
Doyoung
Seungmin
I think it's fine if it's healthy, but if you're clearly very unhealthy with no signs of making a difference, that may not be great. We should be more accepting of healthy body types that tend to be a tad bit bigger than the sticks we're used to.

XionMinho

Face of The Group
Website
mmt.fans
Credits
Bang Chan
Jaemin
Doyoung
Seungmin
In any case, I definitely think that no once deserves hate for their body size

XionMinho

Face of The Group
Website
mmt.fans
Credits
Bang Chan
Jaemin
Doyoung
Seungmin
True, cause fat shaming or skinny shaming people isn’t going to make any difference as long as they are healthy and are taking good care of themselves.
Especially because it can cause eating disorders which make a perfectly healthy person very unhealthy

piscesigh

Maknae
Website
twitter.com
Credits
Wooseok
Dean
Woodz
Jungwoo
Honestly, as long as they have talent, it should be good. We will never fully know when something is healthy or not because each person has different standards for what "being healthy" is according to their body, their genetics, their story and such. Sometimes we see some people as unhealthy but they are actually healthy
(I had a friend of mine who everyone would call "anorexic" but that was simply her genetics and she ate a sh*t ton of food)
Talent being limited by body shape or health... It's really sad. Some great singers (talking more on a worldwide perspective since Korea would almost never) were what we as in society consider "unhealthy" but they were amazing. If someone smokes, takes drugs or drinks, which are also unhealthy, don't get as criticized as when it comes to their physical figure.
Sometimes fat-phobia is disguised as concern for their health but really... We don't know anything about it!
If it's about becoming "role models" and they "promoting" their lifestyle... I think that's absolute bullsh*t. There are influential people and all, but if you don't agree with something and you do it just because an idol does it, isn't that a personal problem?

Anyway, this is just my point of view and I really hope it doesn't affect anyone in a negative way! Of course this isn't directed to someone specifically but mostly a general critique to society and some stereotypes ^^

M

myheartizomg

Honestly, as long as they have talent, it should be good. We will never fully know when something is healthy or not because each person has different standards for what "being healthy" is according to their body, their genetics, their story and such. Sometimes we see some people as unhealthy but they are actually healthy
(I had a friend of mine who everyone would call "anorexic" but that was simply her genetics and she ate a sh*t ton of food)
Talent being limited by body shape or health... It's really sad. Some great singers (talking more on a worldwide perspective since Korea would almost never) were what we as in society consider "unhealthy" but they were amazing. If someone smokes, takes drugs or drinks, which are also unhealthy, don't get as criticized as when it comes to their physical figure.
Sometimes fat-phobia is disguised as concern for their health but really... We don't know anything about it!
If it's about becoming "role models" and they "promoting" their lifestyle... I think that's absolute bullsh*t. There are influential people and all, but if you don't agree with something and you do it just because an idol does it, isn't that a personal problem?

Anyway, this is just my point of view and I really hope it doesn't affect anyone in a negative way! Of course this isn't directed to someone specifically but mostly a general critique to society and some stereotypes ^^
I agree with this 👏

honeycove

Stan Red Velvet
Credits
Username Change
User Title Change
IM
Jisun

Agreed sis, I have a cousin who is also like your friend, she always got called anorexic because she was naturally thin and she was also tall, so yes, her bones showed but it wasn’t her fault, she ate tons, her genetics just made her naturally skinny

or her mom doing meth when pregnant with her might have had a part in it to, but idk

piscesigh

Maknae
Website
twitter.com
Credits
Wooseok
Dean
Woodz
Jungwoo
Agreed sis, I have a cousin who is also like your friend, she always got called anorexic because she was naturally thin and she was also tall, so yes, her bones showed but it wasn’t her fault, she ate tons, her genetics just made her naturally skinny

or her mom doing meth when pregnant with her might have had a part in it to, but idk
Ikr? She had such a hard time during high school because of it... Even the nicest teachers would tell her to "get some porridge", like ???? Mind your business damn

ImJustKpopTrash

Winter__Roses
Author
Website
imjustkpoptrash.carrd.co
Credits
Ningning
Karina
Arin
Winter
Personally, yes all weight and sizes should be accepted (obviously if it's not healthy as stated above then no that should not be promoted), but for teenagers and people who struggle with self-image already then it can be really damaging for their self-esteem to just see all these stick thin idols and it doesn't help
And coming from someone who struggles with body image and an eating disorder it can be really damaging for me to see them so for a while I avoided kpop altogether because of it.

Credits
Y
Seungmin
Jeong Sewoon

I totally agree with this! Especially the fact that each body shape is mainly part of the genetics, so many people don’t even recognise that! I mean for most or some idols, maybe they could be eating healthily and working out, or eating a lot every single day without gaining some weight or body fat still, and yet people don’t even realise that it’s just part of the genetics. 😐🤦‍♀️

piscesigh

Maknae
Website
twitter.com
Credits
Wooseok
Dean
Woodz
Jungwoo
I totally agree with this! Especially the fact that each body shape is mainly part of the genetics, so many people don’t even recognise that! I mean for most or some idols, maybe they could be eating healthily and working out, or eating a lot every single day without gaining some weight or body fat still, and yet people don’t even realise that it’s just part of the genetics. 😐🤦‍♀️
Thank you for reading and understanding my point of view uwu

Brickerbrack

Kpop Expert
Credits
Dami
Handong
JiU
Siyeon
While his point wasn't related to K-pop, James Corden made a pretty good case about this on the Late Late Show recently...