҉  Official Popular/Unpopular Kpop Opinions Thread ҉ 

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
award shows at this point are completely useless the only reason their still standing is bc fans want interactions between idols
Mmm I’m standing neutral. I was on the disagree stance but the more I explained myself the more I realised there are some issues.

Why I disagree
- Award shows bring new performances which are never seen elsewhere (very nice when you’re an ITZY fan LMAO)
- Seeing groups win overall awards is really exciting
- Groups and songs being awarded because they’ve been nominated as the best by professionals causes fan wars and doesn’t represent the fans. Popularity contest is better at showing what the fans actually want, and therefore more people will participate and tune in

Why I agree
- Watching the same groups get nominated over and over and then winning is tiring
- Regardless of how the awards are chosen, there will always be fanwars about whether it was deserved or not (examples, Boy With Love chosen as SOTY over Fancy by fans, fanwars. Next Level chosen over M.I.T.M by professional judges, fanwars)
- Literally only MAMA (and maybe MMA even though they’re snakes) matters to 99% of kpop fans

Overall I personally find award shows really fun, and I’m glad they exist. When I was a little girl I used to love watching the Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Awards and now I get to watch MAMA even if I don’t understand what the hosts are saying. Plus we get shit like Ryujin doing a whole battle scene and Chaeryeong robbing a bank. I can’t complain about that.

If you want a completely rigged award show, but at least every kpop group and soloist is considered to win regardless of how famous they are, tune into MIMA (aka the MIel Music Awards because MMA already exists) this December! I might even make a form for people to vote for their own favourites too! I’m so generous

chaerifyyy

Band Manager
Website
redqueen2000.carrd.co
Credits
Dipsy
Christmas Lollipop
Apple White
Briar Beauty
agree! they're nothing but a popularity contest atp. if a panel of judges did it, it would be better. or it could be like queendom/kingdom, where the judges' votes counted for 80% and fan votes were only 20%
EXACTLY and i know even if they did i feel like mnet would somehow rig it to put popular groups to gain more money or smth

chaerifyyy

Band Manager
Website
redqueen2000.carrd.co
Credits
Dipsy
Christmas Lollipop
Apple White
Briar Beauty
Mmm I’m standing neutral. I was on the disagree stance but the more I explained myself the more I realised there are some issues.

Why I disagree
- Award shows bring new performances which are never seen elsewhere (very nice when you’re an ITZY fan LMAO)
- Seeing groups win overall awards is really exciting
- Groups and songs being awarded because they’ve been nominated as the best by professionals causes fan wars and doesn’t represent the fans. Popularity contest is better at showing what the fans actually want, and therefore more people will participate and tune in

Why I agree
- Watching the same groups get nominated over and over and then winning is tiring
- Regardless of how the awards are chosen, there will always be fanwars about whether it was deserved or not (examples, Boy With Love chosen as SOTY over Fancy by fans, fanwars. Next Level chosen over M.I.T.M by professional judges, fanwars)
- Literally only MAMA (and maybe MMA even though they’re snakes) matters to 99% of kpop fans

Overall I personally find award shows really fun, and I’m glad they exist. When I was a little girl I used to love watching the Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Awards and now I get to watch MAMA even if I don’t understand what the hosts are saying. Plus we get shit like Ryujin doing a whole battle scene and Chaeryeong robbing a bank. I can’t complain about that.

If you want a completely rigged award show, but at least every kpop group and soloist is considered to win regardless of how famous they are, tune into MIMA (aka the MIel Music Awards because MMA already exists) this December! I might even make a form for people to vote for their own favourites too! I’m so generous
yea i can see both sides as why ppl like it and dont
lol i might watch ur award show

Last edited:

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
Music video reaction videos (by idols) are boring.

And it’s because they’re fake.
Like, all the idols reacting have already seen the sets, costumes, they know what it looks like. Maybe they haven’t seen the editing but that’s basically it. And then all their reactions are are just a couple of oohs and ahhs and “wow this member is pretty” and that’s literally it. Sometimes there’s a small spin but that just adds a slight bit more entertainment but is still pretty bland. And I’ve heard in some companies idols react to their label mate’s music too, and ofc those are going to be even more fake coz no way an idol is gonna sit there going “eh this isn’t my thing” while reacting to something by an idol they’re close with.

The only funny mv reactions I’ve seen were the ones Sorn did while she was a member of CLC. Because she doesn’t doing them seriously. She would be screaming stuff like STEP ON ME GIRLS and “wow Sorn is so pretty” as if she was a Cheshire. It’s a shame those videos got deleted (boo cube). If only more idols were allowed to either be realistic or be over the top instead of the perfect tame in the middle they have to be

sanasideup

divin’ to the galaxy with you
Staff member
Editor
Website
pinkbarbiebandaid.carrd.co
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
Music video reaction videos (by idols) are boring.

And it’s because they’re fake.
Like, all the idols reacting have already seen the sets, costumes, they know what it looks like. Maybe they haven’t seen the editing but that’s basically it. And then all their reactions are are just a couple of oohs and ahhs and “wow this member is pretty” and that’s literally it. Sometimes there’s a small spin but that just adds a slight bit more entertainment but is still pretty bland. And I’ve heard in some companies idols react to their label mate’s music too, and ofc those are going to be even more fake coz no way an idol is gonna sit there going “eh this isn’t my thing” while reacting to something by an idol they’re close with.

The only funny mv reactions I’ve seen were the ones Sorn did while she was a member of CLC. Because she doesn’t doing them seriously. She would be screaming stuff like STEP ON ME GIRLS and “wow Sorn is so pretty” as if she was a Cheshire. It’s a shame those videos got deleted (boo cube). If only more idols were allowed to either be realistic or be over the top instead of the perfect tame in the middle they have to be
i agree. the only mv reaction that's acceptable is the pop! reaction w nayeon, chaeyoung, and jeongyeon bc jeongyeon and chaeyoung keep pausing the video to laugh at nayeon lol

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
i agree. the only mv reaction that's acceptable is the pop! reaction w nayeon, chaeyoung, and jeongyeon bc jeongyeon and chaeyoung keep pausing the video to laugh at nayeon lol
I will admit I did like that one as well. It was one of the most genuine I’ve seen coz they were just acting like genuine friends. I know the company would lose their minds if this happened but I’d just love if one day an idol was like “ngl this song is lame” half way through one of these videos. I NEED DRAMA I NEED SOMETHING TO HAPPEN

sanasideup

Staff member
Editor
Website
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
I will admit I did like that one as well. It was one of the most genuine I’ve seen coz they were just acting like genuine friends. I know the company would lose their minds if this happened but I’d just love if one day an idol was like “ngl this song is lame” half way through one of these videos. I NEED DRAMA I NEED SOMETHING TO HAPPEN
omg, yes. we need taeyeon's unfiltered reaction to gee, lion heart, etc just bc she hates them. i'm curious what she would say lol

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
A lot of title tracks released this year have paled in comparison to bsides from their albums.
There’s been plenty of good title tracks, but sometimes the bsides really just outshine the titles. A lot of my favourite songs this year have been bsides. The funny thing is though, I think a lot of these bsides aren’t actually title track matieral and do fit better as bsides. I just think they’re incredible compared to their titles. I won’t say which titles I like and dislike but have some examples of amazing bsides from this year I prefer over their title track:
Party Pop - VIVIZ
My Satisfaction - IVE
I LIKE IT - STAYC
i - LIGHTSUM
Love Is Gone - Brave Girls
Rolla Skates - Jo Yuri
Escape Room - fromis_9
Tell Me One More Time - CLASS:y
Parachute - Oh My Girl
La Luna - ICHILLIN’
In My Dreams - Red Velvet
Blue Flame - LE SSERAFIM

(Also a bonus Japanese release: Spice - ITZY)

REMINDER that just because the bside is on this list doesn’t mean I dislike the title track! There’s many examples on that list where I’m also obsessed with the title track!

Last edited:

chaerifyyy

Band Manager
Website
redqueen2000.carrd.co
Credits
Dipsy
Christmas Lollipop
Apple White
Briar Beauty
1.) Shuhua improved A LOT in Tomboy
2.) We need more cute boy group concepts
3.) We need more sexy concepts.
4.) We need less 14 year olds and children who just graduated middle school in kpop groups.
5.) Dreamcatcher isn't underrated.
6.) "Blackpink is overrated" isn't even a unpopular opinion. Stop putting it on this thread.
7.) Starship groups always have some of the best discographies.
8.) IVE and Kep1er have potential to be as popular as aespa.
9.) 2nd gen is the one who started the hallyu wave so stop giving all the credit to 3rd gen.
10.) Maniac (SKZ) was good but a mess.
11.) NMIXX's stage presence is SOO GOOD. Like have you seen their KCON performances.

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
7.) Starship groups always have some of the best discographies.
8.) IVE and Kep1er have potential to be as popular as aespa.

I wanted to comment on these two specifically just to share my agreement.
I don’t know much about their early groups or boy groups but WJSN hasn’t released a bad song since the Neverland album (and Neverland is one of the best kpop albums ever idec), and a lot of their albums before then were full of bops. And then IVE only have 1 song I dislike with 3 I ADORE, 1 I love (and After Like does need to grow on me a little but it’s so good it won’t take long). Starship just MAKE GOOD MUSIC. Dare I say they’ve been making some of the best music within these last couple years. No wonder 2/4 of my fave groups are by Starship.

I think Kep1er will go far, but as for IVE, they definitely have the potential to go up against Aespa. Dare I say they’re already worthy rivals of other 4th gen groups that have been around for a bit (I’m not trying to start fan wars, I’m not trying to discredit anyone and I’m not comparing, I’m simply stating that: ) the amount of wins they have with only 2 songs (and with After Like just being released that number will only grow) and their sales are insane too. Wonyoung is one of 4th gen’s it girls, Korea loves her and she is booked and busy all the time. And the other members are also gaining so much love and support. If IVE dont sweep up awards at the end of this year I’ll be extremely confused because they DESERVE IT. Like I said, Kep1er have so much potential as well, and other groups that have debuted this year like Le Sserafim and New Jeans are also doing so well. But if I was in a 4th gen girl group, I’d be terrified of IVE.

Yes I am a DIVE, so I can see why this might appear as biased. But seriously even from an objective viewpoint I’d feel this way

chaerifyyy

Band Manager
Website
redqueen2000.carrd.co
Credits
Dipsy
Christmas Lollipop
Apple White
Briar Beauty
I wanted to comment on these two specifically just to share my agreement.
I don’t know much about their early groups or boy groups but WJSN hasn’t released a bad song since the Neverland album (and Neverland is one of the best kpop albums ever idec), and a lot of their albums before then were full of bops. And then IVE only have 1 song I dislike with 3 I ADORE, 1 I love (and After Like does need to grow on me a little but it’s so good it won’t take long). Starship just MAKE GOOD MUSIC. Dare I say they’ve been making some of the best music within these last couple years. No wonder 2/4 of my fave groups are by Starship.

I think Kep1er will go far, but as for IVE, they definitely have the potential to go up against Aespa. Dare I say they’re already worthy rivals of other 4th gen groups that have been around for a bit (I’m not trying to start fan wars, I’m not trying to discredit anyone and I’m not comparing, I’m simply stating that: ) the amount of wins they have with only 2 songs (and with After Like just being released that number will only grow) and their sales are insane too. Wonyoung is one of 4th gen’s it girls, Korea loves her and she is booked and busy all the time. And the other members are also gaining so much love and support. If IVE dont sweep up awards at the end of this year I’ll be extremely confused because they DESERVE IT. Like I said, Kep1er have so much potential as well, and other groups that have debuted this year like Le Sserafim and New Jeans are also doing so well. But if I was in a 4th gen girl group, I’d be terrified of IVE.

Yes I am a DIVE, so I can see why this might appear as biased. But seriously even from an objective viewpoint I’d feel this way
PREACH 👏👏👏

Horanghae !

ᵐⁱⁿᵍʰᵃᵒ ^
Credits
Korean Flag
Nachimbong
Sunoo
I don't understand the hate. Like, I get it, it was unexpected, but the song is a 10/10.

Horanghae !

ᵐⁱⁿᵍʰᵃᵒ ^
Credits
Korean Flag
Nachimbong
Sunoo
All nct units deserve the fame they're getting. They deserve to be successful.
Yeonjun is a 4th gen it boy, but not the whole group?? I don't get it.
Stray Kids are one of the most talented 4th groups.
(G)I-dle deserves more love.
Even if groups don't come from YG, JYP, HYBE, or SM, doesn't mean they don't deserve a listen. They could be just as talented as Twice, Blackpink, TXT anyone.
It's getting tiring seeing idols get body shamed. They are in NO way overweight, fat, or chubby. Idols like Hwasa get hate for being curvy when they give female idols hip pads so they can have shape.
Stop asking idols weird questions on vlive, stop asking them to speak a language, and stop asking them to say (weird) things.
We need more 'Tomboy' like concepts. I can't stand cute videos.
Knock-knock by twice is god awful, including the MV.
With bts being on a hiatus it will give other groups a chance to shine.
Also, they can finally go their own ways and do what they wanna do in music
Wonyoung doesn't deserve the hate
It doesn't matter whether or not an idol got plastic surgery, it's their face, their choice. It shouldnt be something to hate on.

This felt more like a rant , but I wanted to say it

Last edited:

sanasideup

Staff member
Editor
Website
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
newjeans is doing great, but they debuted too late to deserve roty and are far too controversial to gain the love of the public that the roty winner needs to have.
nmixx doesn't deserve roty, sorry. the girls are extremely talented and i love them, but their debut song was literally named "the worst" by hundreds - if not thousands - of ppl and articles. you must be loved (and that includes your songs!!) by the general public, and jyp did the girls dirty on that one
kep1er is meh. maybe it's just me, but they feel v middle of the road. good, but not roty good
le sserafim didn't even have a cb this year, they literally only debuted. there was also a period of time where ppl considered the whole grp problematic bc of garam and wouldn't even stan until after she left. and i love garam and stan lessera either way, but i feel like having such a large scale scandal (true or not) from anybody in the grp within the first yr - and even predebut for gods sake - disqualifies you from being real roty material
and lastly, ive is basically a shoo in for roty. the members are all easily recognizable and i would argue that ive is the only grp here where all members actually fit the concept every. single. time. for me, everybody shines and their songs are EVERYWHERE. they literally broke records w their debut song. that screams roty to me

and if you're considering anybody other than the aformentioned grps for roty, you're joking me. and before anyone says anything, i breifly considered viviz, but a) their music is boring to me and i don't see anyone talking abt them, and b) they're basically a viviz subunit. and while they're now considered a viviz subunit on melon, they were not gfriend at debut or during queendom and yet they still chose to market themselves as gfriend 2.0, which completely knocks them out of roty conversations for me

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
newjeans is doing great, but they debuted too late to deserve roty and are far too controversial to gain the love of the public that the roty winner needs to have.
nmixx doesn't deserve roty, sorry. the girls are extremely talented and i love them, but their debut song was literally named "the worst" by hundreds - if not thousands - of ppl and articles. you must be loved (and that includes your songs!!) by the general public, and jyp did the girls dirty on that one
kep1er is meh. maybe it's just me, but they feel v middle of the road. good, but not roty good
le sserafim didn't even have a cb this year, they literally only debuted. there was also a period of time where ppl considered the whole grp problematic bc of garam and wouldn't even stan until after she left. and i love garam and stan lessera either way, but i feel like having such a large scale scandal (true or not) from anybody in the grp within the first yr - and even predebut for gods sake - disqualifies you from being real roty material
and lastly, ive is basically a shoo in for roty. the members are all easily recognizable and i would argue that ive is the only grp here where all members actually fit the concept every. single. time. for me, everybody shines and their songs are EVERYWHERE. they literally broke records w their debut song. that screams roty to me

and if you're considering anybody other than the aformentioned grps for roty, you're joking me. and before anyone says anything, i breifly considered viviz, but a) their music is boring to me and i don't see anyone talking abt them, and b) they're basically a viviz subunit. and while they're now considered a viviz subunit on melon, they were not gfriend at debut or during queendom and yet they still chose to market themselves as gfriend 2.0, which completely knocks them out of roty conversations for me
Agree. If it’s going to be 4 nominations it should be Ive, Le Sserafim, NewJeans and Kep1er and if it’s 6 add NMIXX and Billlie (imo Billlie are doing okay they’re slowly rising thanks to Tsuki).

But if IVE dont win at MAMA I will be scratching my head. All of the listed groups are good for 4th gen groups, but IVE has been not only competing with the other 4th gen groups but against 3rd gen too. They have a high number of wins for a girl group with only 2 songs (and After Like gearing up to take more). I almost never hear anything toxic about IVE as a group (mostly only towards Wonyoung which is awful but is just a symbol of her success). If any of the other groups had debuted another year they would’ve deserved rookie of the year, but unfortunately IVE has come along and named themselves as rookie of the year. Unless this ends up being another Fancy moment 💀