Movie or Book?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

OppaIsTrash

Kpop Expert
Website
twitter.com
Credits
☆ SEVENTEEN - Rock With You [Ver. D] ☆
Wonho
omg not to suddenly start parroting the lectures from that one film class i took that specifically focused on adaptations BUT film and book are two different mediums and to compare them too much in terms of adaptations is unfair to both the book and the movie.

a lot of times film adaptations have very different goals to the book (ex. the hunger games books were written as a social critique; the hunger games movies were made to profit off the popularity in dystopian young adult lit; therefore the movies are more focused on the romance than the social commentary). then there are things present in the book that may not translate well, if at all into film, and things present in the film that would have been difficult to incorporate into a book, if at all.

there are movie adaptations that were wildly different to their source material that were still enjoyable and even good movies in their own right, like the lightning thief, bram stroker's dracula, vampire academy, or the nutcracker and the four realms (based on a ballet adaptation of a story). there are movies that are excellent adaptations of books, like the lion the witch and the wardrobe, the outsiders, and the perks of being a wallflower. and there are movie adaptations that are just bad movies (city if bones is what comes to mind).

ALL THIS TO SAY, i like both. i think its fun to see how different people take the source material and expand on it, change it to a different medium, or turn it into something new. generally, i used to like reading books more than watching films, so i used to favor books over their adaptations. nowadays i've started favoring visual mediums a lot more. and since taking that film class i've softened my stance on book vs movies. so i think its good to take a look at both, not necessarily in any order, although i tend to prefer book first (i've been putting off watching the netflix series of unfortunate events and to all the boys i've loved before because i want to read the books first).

[lecture over]

Kimino

Kpop Rookie
Credits
It’s always the book. Never the movie. Why? It’s respectful to the Author and the true version and always will be

XionMinho

Face of The Group
Website
mmt.fans
Credits
Bang Chan
Jaemin
Doyoung
Seungmin
Book for sure

I’m probably really annoying when I watch movies after reading the book bc i basically just critique everything that was completely different, stuff I thought the adaptation took too much liberty with

XionMinho

Face of The Group
Website
mmt.fans
Credits
Bang Chan
Jaemin
Doyoung
Seungmin
There’s some movies of books that’d be great on their own but not for that specific book

holder57435

Kpop Amateur
Credits
I like to read book and my favorite is manga's books. I've been reading prison school manga here. This is one of the best.

Jessy_Kim_Off

Face of The Group
Credits
Xiao Jun
Hongseok
YangYang
Jacob
I like to read the book first and then watch the movie because I can compare and contrast them 2

ThoseGoodOldDreams

Maknae
Credits
Yoohyeon
JiU
Suran
Soyeon
I usually prefer the book but I've had to settle for the movie a lot lately, I don't have time to read books much anymore

ONF

☕️🫖
Staff member
iShop Manager
SNS Manager
Editor
V.I.P.
Website
rentry.org
Credits
✧ The Final Problem ✧
Peke J (Excalibur)
Books are typically better because they tend to show a bit more detail compared to the movie, but the movie is nice for graphic representation

L

Love_alize071313

Since i've been discussing them in a DM discussion, BOOKS!

boo

Kpop Fan
Credits
Book but probably because I like reading more, but sometimes I like the movie better