Learning Hangul Vowels

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

JunHwannn

Kpop Fan
Credits
Donghyun
Dean
Before we start, I need to tell you a rule. Each word comes with at-least 1 vowel and 1 consonant, like this 비 (this word 비 means rain)

Let's start!

ㅣ= this is i, (pronounced like ee) but, can you see whats wrong? It does not have a consonant! Therefore, we must put the silent consonant ㅇ to make it a proper word.

let's try again. 이= this is i, (pronounced like ee)

Next, there is 아= a, pronounced like ah. It looks just like 이 but with a little stroke pointing to the right. So far we have 이, 아, 어, 야 and 여!

Then
there is 어= eo (pronounced like uh) and 야= ya (pronounced like.... ya)

여= yeo (pronounced like yoh) is the next one, you may have heard this a lot!

Well done! We have learnt halfway through the vowels! give yourself a pat on the back!

Now we are moving onto the WIDE vowels, so far we were learning the LONG vowels

오= o 우= u (ooh) 유= yu 요= yo 으= eu and that was the 5 wide vowels! Well done you know all the basic vowels

COMPOUND VOWELS

Here are the compound vowels, you'll see these everywhere!

애 is ae (pronounced like.. ae) 에 is e (also pronounced as ae) this is 얘= yae and this is 예= ye (also a formal way of saying yes!)

와= this is wa and this is 워= wo this is 왜= wae and this is 웨= we (also pronounced as wae) this is 위= wi and this 외=oe (pronounced as wae)

Last edited:

꿈꾸다

Kpop Groupie
Website
www.quotev.com
Credits
Jungwoo
Lucas
YangYang
Hendery
Nice post! Good guide for beginners, not to complicated! And don't forget there are a bunch of helpful songs used for learning the vowels and are easily accessible via youtube search cause I know it is always helpful to hear things spoken to me rather than reading. In my language class, our seonsaengnim (that means teacher in Korean) made us listen to them when we were learning vowels. Her favorite was one of an animated monkey that was made by Bang Sihyuk (the guy who founded BigHit Entertainment) and sang by a member from 2pm lol.