Korean Proverbs

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

꿈꾸다

Kpop Groupie
Website
www.quotev.com
Credits
Jungwoo
Lucas
YangYang
Hendery
Korea has a lot of proverbs like any other country and a lot are very similar to ones where I'm from (the US). However, I find some of the literal translations of the Korean ones really evoking. So I thought I would share some of my favorites.

1). If going words are beautiful, then coming words will be beautiful (ganeun mari gowayaoneun mari gopda or 가는 말이 고와야오는 말이 곱다 if you can read hangul). This is like the proverb one good turn deserves another but I like this Korean version much better. It sounds so much more poetic and well, beautiful.

2). From the stream a dragon rises (gaecheoneso yong nanda or 개천에서 용 난다). This is the Korean version of the rags to riches proverb but way cooler. Cause who doesn't love dragons?

3). Delight comes at the end of difficulty (gosaeng kkeute nagi onda or 고생 끝에 낙이 온다). This is probably my favorite Korean proverb. Yes, its like no pain, no gain. But who likes being told there's going to be pain? This has a much more gentler approach.

Do you guys know any cool Korean proverbs or have any favorites?? Or are there any Korean proverbs that are similar to ones in your native language??

꿈꾸다

Kpop Groupie
Website
www.quotev.com
Credits
Jungwoo
Lucas
YangYang
Hendery
Good work, just the translator has made a slight mistake 0-0

Instead of 내 (Nae) the more likely one to use would be Je

내 (Nae) could still work though
Or there would be no need to add nea (내) or je (제) because the subject is often implied in Korean. So if you're saying a name, it's automatically implied that it's your name.