What do you think about cultural appropriation and queer bating in the kpop community?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chuuwie

Kpop Amateur
Credits
I haven't seen many people on here talk about this so I wanted to here what people think about it.

anmybeloved

silas
Author
Credits
i dont really try to think about it since the subject makes me uncomfortable

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
I don’t really like the discussion of cultural appropriation because I’m white and British so it’s not really my place to decide what is and isn’t acceptable. But as a wee baby lesbean, queerbating itself isn’t the most problematic thing in the world ig. I don’t like the idea of profiting off of it but at the same time representation in the media is important and the idea of lgbt idols could also help normalise homosexuality in Korea! The problem though, is that genuinely gay and out idols are treated AWFULLY. I don’t like that idols can do it for fun and get no hate but an actually gay idol (such as Holland) has to do everything to keep their career afloat

anmybeloved

silas
Author
Credits
plus with cultural appropriation being big with other asian countries i see a lot of koreans talking/mimicking stereotypical Japanese/Filipino's and since I am Japanese-Filipino it makes me uncomfortable seeing people act like those cute Japanese girls and make fun of cultures that I grew up with,,, which results in me being uncomfortable with the topic ((sorry for explaining, i feel like people wont understand if i don't explain how i feel))

catqirljooe

Kpop Rookie
Credits
Ningning
Bibi
Onda
I don't like it. people like to talk about it as if it's not that serious when it is.

chuuwie

Kpop Amateur
Credits
I don’t really like the discussion of cultural appropriation because I’m white and British so it’s not really my place to decide what is and isn’t acceptable. But as a wee baby lesbean, queerbating itself isn’t the most problematic thing in the world ig. I don’t like the idea of profiting off of it but at the same time representation in the media is important and the idea of lgbt idols could also help normalise homosexuality in Korea! The problem though, is that genuinely gay and out idols are treated AWFULLY. I don’t like that idols can do it for fun and get no hate but an actually gay idol (such as Holland) has to do everything to keep their career afloat
I agree, I dont like them using lgbtq+ to get more western fans but then hating on actual lgbq+ idols.

chuuwie

Kpop Amateur
Credits
plus with cultural appropriation being big with other asian countries i see a lot of koreans talking/mimicking stereotypical Japanese/Filipino's and since I am Japanese-Filipino it makes me uncomfortable seeing people act like those cute Japanese girls and make fun of cultures that I grew up with,,, which results in me being uncomfortable with the topic ((sorry for explaining, i feel like people wont understand if i don't explain how i feel))
that's ok I understand why you wouldn't want to talk about it.

chuuwie

Kpop Amateur
Credits
I don't like it. people like to talk about it as if it's not that serious when it is.
exactly its a big deal its not ok to use peoples culture religions and sexuality that they can get killed and hate crimes over for mv concept.

kokomi

彡☆
Credits
Username Change
Flower Vase
Berry Tart
Heart Cake
i don't really love talking about cultural appropriation as it isn't my place to say anything on it (except for when it comes to yk my culture or whatever but thats uncommon) but uh queerbaiting isn't good at all. i guess the idea of doing it for profit when actual lgbt idols could be struggling with even keeping their career doesn't sit right with me.

woosungsrose

𝓑𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓑𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓼 𝓙𝓸𝓷𝓰𝓱𝔂𝓾𝓷
Credits
Ni-Ki
Daehwi
The First Step: Treasure Effect
Keeho
i can't really speak on cultural appropriation since i'm white, but i will say that i'm so sick of hearing the "tHeY dIdN't kNoW" excuse. but as someone who is apart of the lgbt and has been for many years, queerbaiting isn't okay. the way its like... fetishized now??? is that even the right word???

chuuwie

Kpop Amateur
Credits
i can't really speak on cultural appropriation since i'm white, but i will say that i'm so sick of hearing the "tHeY dIdN't kNoW" excuse. but as someone who is apart of the lgbt and has been for many years, queerbaiting isn't okay. the way its like... fetishized now??? is that even the right word???
yeah and its not faire to the actual lgbt+ idols who get so much hate

_Mayday

Kpop Amateur
Credits
in my case, more people that aren't from my culture claim that something is cultural appropriation of my culture when it's not. like g-idle wearing henna in latata. I saw a lot of white ppl saying it was cultural appropriation, when I and literally nearly every other desi, said it wasn't

_Mayday

Kpop Amateur
Credits
in my case, more people that aren't from my culture claim that something is cultural appropriation of my culture when it's not. like g-idle wearing henna in latata. I saw a lot of white ppl saying it was cultural appropriation, when I and literally nearly every other desi, said it wasn't
this being said though, cultural appropriation is a huge problem and its really upsetting to see idols just use people's cultures for an aesthetic... cultures have meaning and you cant just go around wearing dreads or something just because you like it. its really offensive.

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
everafterentertainment.carrd.co
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
With cultural appropriation and queer bating I tend to not talk about it because I don’t have the right. If I’m not a part of the community I shouldn’t have a say in whether it is offensive or not.
The only time this ever applies to me is anything antisemetic. I’m Jewish so like nazi posts and such. For example Sowon’s recent incident is one i spoke about on here heavily.
But besides that I don’t have enough knowledge or connection to speak on it.

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
I totally get what you mean... it’s almost become desirable or a trend to be lgbt when in reality we’re just people who have attraction different to the majority of the population

_Mayday

Kpop Amateur
Credits
I totally get what you mean... it’s almost become desirable or a trend to be lgbt when in reality we’re just people who have attraction different to the majority of the population
im straight so i cant say too much on this but ive noticed a lot of kpop companies kinda treat the lgbt community like they're...objects? it's like they see lgbt+ as something "different" or (I hate this word sm)"exotic" when its just really rude from my perspective.

lynch.

NOT EVEN GHOSTS ARE THIS EMPTY
Credits
User Title Change
User Title Change
✧ Emo Spongebob ✧
Username Change
when it comes to cultural appropriation i don't think I can speak about it much since i'm mostly white but I think it's extremely disrespectful to use somebody's culture as an aesthetic or as a prop.
when it comes to queerbaiting however, that's something i think I should speak on since I am pansexual.
queerbaiting, to me, is like faking being gay (or any LGBTQ sexuality) to get attention and for the company to gain profit. I love the idea of openly gay idols, but queerbaiting is the exact opposite.