Voice Cracks in K-pop

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pika_chuu

❤️WH0 CARES❤️
Author
Website
rxseglass.carrd.co
Credits
Sheep Plush
Leona Kingscholar
Undertaker
Denki Kaminari
Let's talk about them! Now, voice cracks are not something horrible that we need to be ashamed of; they're normal. Let's take a look at this video:
Warning: It might be a bit painful.
Also can we talk about how Yujin was lowkey smug about that voice crack in the Helicopter performance- /hj

Now, these girls are great singers.
So why do these voice cracks happen?
I mean, we've seen good vocalists like Baekhyun of EXO and Jimin of BTS have voice cracks, and there is no doubt that they're amazing vocalists.

Voice cracks are... Drumroll, please... A normal thing!
They can happen when you're:
a) singing out of your range/not transitioning between head and chest voice
b) not getting enough air
c) singing from your throat

A is pretty self-explanatory, but what in the world is head and chest voice?
Let's talk about what they sound like, so you can recognize them. You all know (G)I-DLE Yuqi's deep voice: This is her chest voice. It comes from down low, it has more depth and grit. Your head voice is more in your throat (though still supported by your lungs) and is for higher notes.
Now, voice cracks can happen when you're trying to sing a note in your chest voice that needs to be sung in your head voice- It just doesn't work and leads to that crack. The other obvious thing that can happen is when vocalists attempt to overextend their voices and try to sing out of range- If your voice can't do it, it's going to crack and let you know.

B is not getting enough air. As vocalists, we want to breath from our diaphragms, and use our stomachs to get all of that nice air. If you don't have enough air to carry your note, it's not going to be pretty.
This also goes along with C, singing from your throat. You need to be singing from your diaphragm so you can support yourself- Have you ever felt like you were straining when you were singing? It is most likely because you were singing from your throat- It dislikes this, and this can also lead to voice cracks.

Voice cracks can be embarrassing, I've had my fair share of them- But they are normal and can be fixed. Even good vocalists make mistakes sometimes! Most likely, these girls (and other k-pop idols) simply made these mistakes and had an unfortunate voice crack. Please don't send hate towards any idol for it, or claim that they're not a good singer- it's not true.

Last edited:

yunaing

Shin Yuna Lover 💞
Credits
Cabbit
Yuna
Light Ring
☆ ITZY - LOCO [Ver. C] ☆
I love when idols have voice breaks, especially highly respected and always deemed as the best of the best.

Singing is not easy, and sometimes our voices can’t keep going. It’s natural and also it proves we’re singing live! Ofc if an idol is breaking all the time, perhaps something needs to change, but like once in a while. It’s a bit cute and it’s applaudable.

Mamamoo revealed sometimes they purposefully make their voices break or do other mistakes while singing just to prove to their audience it’s 100% legit. Because singing isn’t always going to be perfect

Seobaby

“we were too young and immature to give up"
Author
Credits
I love when idols have voice breaks, especially highly respected and always deemed as the best of the best.

Singing is not easy, and sometimes our voices can’t keep going. It’s natural and also it proves we’re singing live! Ofc if an idol is breaking all the time, perhaps something needs to change, but like once in a while. It’s a bit cute and it’s applaudable.

Mamamoo revealed sometimes they purposefully make their voices break or do other mistakes while singing just to prove to their audience it’s 100% legit. Because singing isn’t always going to be perfect
Agreed

🎀♡RYU♡🎀

♡💭ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴄʜᴇᴍɪᴄᴀʟ ʜʏᴘᴇ ʙᴏʏ💭♡
Staff member
Credits
✧ Atsushi Sakurai ✧
Kakucho
Imaushi Wakasa
Madarame Shion

Agreed

sanasideup

divin’ to the galaxy with you
Staff member
Editor
Website
pinkbarbiebandaid.carrd.co
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
I love Renjun's voice crack when they performed From Home, and how everybody had the immediate reaction of trying not to laugh, even Renjun. And when an idol can quickly recover from a voice crack? It doesn't show that they're bad singers (at all, bc voice cracks don't equal bad singing abilities), but shows that they are good singers bc they can recover and move on to continue giving A good performance. And I love when they genuinely laugh it off, it's nice to watch.

Seobaby

Author
Credits
I love Renjun's voice crack when they performed From Home, and how everybody had the immediate reaction of trying not to laugh, even Renjun. And when an idol can quickly recover from a voice crack? It doesn't show that they're bad singers (at all, bc voice cracks don't equal bad singing abilities), but shows that they are good singers bc they can recover and move on to continue giving A good performance. And I love when they genuinely laugh it off, it's nice to watch.
I agree! No idol is a bad singer

villainlover

Kpop Groupie
Website
blackroseintroduction.carrd.co
Credits
Ciel Phantomhive

agree so much

Yutazenpai

Face of The Group
Credits
Pigeon Plush
Yuta
Undertaker
Lee Know
This is a very good post. Very informing for people to understand.
Are you, like, a professional singer or something bro?

yunaisms

( :̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:★:]̲̅ :̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )
Author
Website
bestchongyunmain.carrd.co
Credits
Gorou
Araraki Itto
Sheep Plush
Mong Mong-ie
Let's talk about them! Now, voice cracks are not something horrible that we need to be ashamed of; they're normal. Let's take a look at this video:
Also can we talk about how Yujin was lowkey smug about that voice crack in the Helicopter performance- /hj

I mean, we've seen good vocalists like Baekhyun of EXO and Jimin of BTS have voice cracks, and there is no doubt that they're amazing vocalists.

Let's talk about what they sound like, so you can recognize them. You all know (G)I-DLE Yuqi's deep voice: This is her chest voice. It comes from down low, it has more depth and grit. Your head voice is more in your throat (though still supported by your lungs) and is for higher notes.
Now, voice cracks can happen when you're trying to sing a note in your chest voice that needs to be sung in your head voice- It just doesn't work and leads to that crack. The other obvious thing that can happen is when vocalists attempt to overextend their voices and try to sing out of range- If your voice can't do it, it's going to crack and let you know.

B is not getting enough air. As vocalists, we want to breath from our diaphragms, and use our stomachs to get all of that nice air. If you don't have enough air to carry your note, it's not going to be pretty.
This also goes along with C, singing from your throat. You need to be singing from your diaphragm so you can support yourself- Have you ever felt like you were straining when you were singing? It is most likely because you were singing from your throat- It dislikes this, and this can also lead to voice cracks.

Voice cracks can be embarrassing, I've had my fair share of them- But they are normal and can be fixed. Even good vocalists make mistakes sometimes! Most likely, these girls (and other k-pop idols) simply made these mistakes and had an unfortunate voice crack. Please don't send hate towards any idol for it, or claim that they're not a good singer- it's not true.
as a singer, i can agree! i've been in choir since like 5th grade and vocal training for almost as long, and i still have voice cracks because either i didn't do warmups before singing or my voice simply cracks for no reason! so, that being said, voice cracks happen a lot when i try to hit notes i just can't. for example, as a soprano I, i sing in my higher register/head voice a lot, but if i sing in a lower register (especially in my chest voice qwq) i tend to get more voice cracks, and the same can be true with an idol! for example like you said, yuqi has a lower register naturally, likely either an alto or very lower soprano II, so for her, if she were to sing in her head voice and go higher than her normal register, she's more than likely to experience a voice crack

Yutazenpai

Face of The Group
Credits
Pigeon Plush
Yuta
Undertaker
Lee Know
Fair. I've been singing since I could talk basically, but I never learned any of the technicalities until I got much older.

Seobaby

Author
Credits

The Voice cracks tell the listeners that their mics are on, that's what I love!

Call_MeRover

𝕮𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖒𝖊 𝕽𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗.(𝕹𝖎𝖈𝖐𝖓𝖆𝖒𝖊)
Author
Website
kprofiles.com
Credits
#TWICE
Choco-Cream Ice Cream
Christmas Lollipop
I was watching BTS voice cracks. i noticed Jimin's voice cracks more. i think its because he has a higher frequency than other band members. he needs to rehulate. now as of 2023 he is doing better