(TW/Antisemitism) Boy Group EPEX Are Underfire for Antisemitic Outfits+Lyrics

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
everafterentertainment.carrd.co
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
So I don't follow this group because I already don't approve of how their company promotes them. It's offensive to me. But they have just added on to that.

EPEX recently released a new song called "Anthem of Teen Spirit".
In the lyrics are various allusions to fighting/battles/war/violence. Specifically, they mention crystal night. Crystal Night is the Americanized term for Kristallnacht, which translates to 'the night of broken glass'.
Now what is it? Kristallnacht was an event that took place during WW2. Over a 2 day period the Nazis executed numerous attacks on innocent Jewish people. Many Jews were killed, synonguages were set on fire, houses were vandalized, and stores destroyed. The broken glass or crystal refers to the glass on the streets from all of the broken windows.
Kristallnacht is a day that is still recognized to this day by the Jewish community, to which I am a part of.
Not only this, but the outfits featured in the music video are being described as similar to that of a Nazi.
FQFDu2oXIAAgp9G.png
epex.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I'm the only Jew on here, so you guys probably don't care. But this is incredibly offensive to me, as my family and people were immensely harmed by this event. I already despised this groups concept (using mental health terms in their albums such as bipolar and anxiety when their music has nothing to do with them).
Apparently the song writer was contacted by fans but they didn't have a clue cause they only wrote the English lyrics, so this is something the company did.
South Korea has virtually no Jews and demonstrates a considerable amount of antisemitism according to studies, so I'm really not suprised.
I really thought companies would learn to steer away from this after the Sowon pictures, but I guess not.

Article: https://www.allkpop.com/article/202...irit-and-their-outfits-resemble-nazi-uniforms
Lyrics: https://genius.com/Genius-english-translations-epex-anthem-of-teen-spirit-english-translation-lyrics

Mikasa Ackerman

🕊️🧣🐚
Staff member
Editor
Author
Website
www.instagram.com
Credits
✧ Reki Kyan ✧
✧ Attack on Titan ✧
Vernon
Wonwoo
I haven't listened to this song before, and now I did after seeing this thread.
Tara, I'm sorry that you had to go through this again after the Gfriend incident.
This is not something that is acceptable, because creating such concepts from heartbreaking and tragic incidents from history could bring that terror and sadness to those who have experienced it, and to the ones who know that feeling. I just pray that those companies immediately stop creating songs from wars especially references to Nazis. They have to be more aware and consider these before moving on to make people heartbroken especially, as a part of the Kpop community where fans spread love.

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
everafterentertainment.carrd.co
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
I haven't listened to this song before, and now I did after seeing this thread.
Tara, I'm sorry that you had to go through this again after the Gfriend incident.
This is not something that is acceptable, because creating such concepts from heartbreaking and tragic incidents from history could bring that terror and sadness to those who have experienced it, and to the ones who know that feeling. I just pray that those companies immediately stop creating songs from wars especially references to Nazis. They have to be more aware and consider these before moving on to make people heartbroken especially, as a part of the Kpop community where fans spread love.
💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

pika_chuu

❤️WH0 CARES❤️
Author
Website
rxseglass.carrd.co
Credits
Sheep Plush
Leona Kingscholar
Undertaker
Denki Kaminari
I already didn't stan them due to the mental health concept (Which, I would like to say, is not their fault, it's their company's. These boys wanted a chance to debut and took it, I don't blame them. Who knew when they would get another?), but this is just... A whole other level.

Zerø_21

Maknae
Website
www.quotev.com
Credits
Yeosang
Yunho
Jongho
Seonghwa
I already didn't stan them due to the mental health concept (Which, I would like to say, is not their fault, it's their company's. These boys wanted a chance to debut and took it, I don't blame them. Who knew when they would get another?), but this is just... A whole other level.
Same

escapism

𝐢 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 ☆
Staff member
iShop Manager
Editor
Author
V.I.P.
Credits
✧ Captain Price ✧
✧ Buddie ✧
Is their company so against them or what? Everytime this group makes headlines is for problematic reasons...

pika_chuu

❤️WH0 CARES❤️
Author
Website
rxseglass.carrd.co
Credits
Sheep Plush
Leona Kingscholar
Undertaker
Denki Kaminari
Yeah I guess I could see how some of them are based off of 1984, but as someone who literally just read the book for school (and has read it for fun), it wasn't all of the lyrics. There's no "Crystal Night" in 1984. Nothing is ever mentioned about life being like a stopped clock. If they wanted it to be like 1984, there are better ways.