Lost in Translation [Monsta X / Chae Hyungwon]

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ParkHereJimin

Kpop Stan
Norwood, OH or Kim Seok-Jin's private jet
Website
www.twitter.com
Credits
JinJin
Shinwon
MJ
Choerry
Okay, so I'm doing this thing called Camp NaNo (it's similar to NaNoWriMo, but it's in April and you can set any goal you want), and this is the story I'm doing for it!

ADVANCE WARNING: This is my first time ever writing about Monsta X, so forgive me if something isn't accurate to the band or the individual members. lol Anyway, here's the first chapter; feel free to comment!

Chapter 1

Loganville, Georgia

Sabrina

“Mommy?” I heard my four-year-old son Logan say from the doorway of my bedroom. It was currently 7:30 am on a Saturday, and I had been fast asleep up to this point. “Sissy just woke me up.”

“Sissy” is Logan’s baby sister Abbie, whose six-month birthday was last week. The kids’ father walked out once Abbie was born because he confessed that he never wanted a second child in the first place.

I stretched, yawned, and realized that, sure enough, Abbie could be heard crying from her nursery.

I got out of bed and told Logan to stay in my room and watch some cartoons while I got Abbie ready for the day. Then, I headed towards the nursery, where Abbie was now pressing her little face against the crib rail.

“Abbie, good morning!” I greeted, undoing her sleep sack and lifting her out of bed and into my arms. “Let’s get you dressed and fed!”

“Hmm…” Abbie vocalized, followed by a wide, one-toothed grin.

I giggled at her cuteness and placed her on the changing table. I was about to put a fresh diaper on her when Logan came in and asked, “Mommy, what’s this? It’s got a bunch of weird drawings on it.”

“Just a minute, okay? I’m changing your sister’s diaper,” I said.

“Ooh, can I watch?!” Logan asked eagerly.

“Of course you can, bud! In fact, why don’t you go into her closet and pick out an outfit for me?”

“Okay.”

When I finished putting Abbie’s diaper on, Logan was back at my side, holding up Abbie’s “Mommy’s Little Peach” t-shirt and a pair of jeans. “I like this on her,” he said.

I smiled and took the outfit. “Me too! Great choice, Logan!”

After I got Abbie all dressed, I asked Logan again what he’d found.

Logan shrugged. “I don’t know, but it’s got some weird drawings on it,” he said as he gave me the paper.

It was then that I had a sudden flashback to high school, when my Korean friend, Chae Hyung-Won, had given me a note written completely in Korean hangul before he and his family left the country. I had kept it in a keepsake box, causing me to completely forget about translating it until now.

“Logan, these aren’t drawings,” I said. “It’s Korean writing, which they call hangul. It’s a note an old friend of mine gave me before flying back to Korea.”

“Where’s Korea?”

“It’s a two-part country off the east coast of China; the northern part is called North Korea, but nobody wants to be there because it’s very dangerous. South Korea is much nicer, so that name is what you’ll hear most often when people talk about Korea.”

“Oh, okay! Are you ever going to make the letter English?”

I sighed. “I don’t know; we’ll see.”

My housemate, Claudia Vincent, joined us and said, “Good morning! What are y’all talking about?”

“Logan found that note Hyung-Won gave me before he moved back home,” I said. “He asked me if I was ever going to have it translated, but… I don’t know. I’m just anxious as to what it might say.”

Claudia laughed. “That kid was a total gentleman! You should totally have it translated; it’s not like it’s a death threat! I’m sure Mi-Sook would be more than happy to do it.”
\
Kwang Mi-Sook is our neighbor across the street. She emigrated to the States when she was a teen, but she’s still quite fluent in Korean and can read hangul without any trouble. She’s getting married soon and lives with her fiancé and their son Grayson, who is also Logan’s best friend.

I thought about it for a moment and ultimately decided, “I suppose it wouldn’t hurt. I’ll give her a call around ten to tell her I’m coming over. Logan, would you like to go play with Grayson later?”

“Yeah!” Logan cheered, jumping for joy and throwing his fist in the air.

“Great! Can you have your room cleaned up by the time we leave?”

Logan hung his head and mumbled, “Yes, Mommy.”

I ruffled his brown hair and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “It won’t take you long; just make sure your toys are picked up and put in the toy chest, and then I’ll help you make your bed.”

“Okay.”

Two hours later, I called Mi-Sook to ask if Logan and I could come over for a while.

“Hello?” Mi-Sook answered.

“Hey, it’s Sabrina,” I said. “I was just wondering – Logan wants to play with Grayson for a bit. Is that okay?”

“Oh, sure! Are you coming now, or what?”

“We’ll be there in about an hour; I told Logan he has to clean his room first.”

“That sounds good. Grayson’s room is pretty messy, too, so that’ll give him time to clean it.”

At eleven, I went into Logan’s room to check his progress and was pleased to see that it was much cleaner than before. Logan was sitting cross-legged in the middle of his bed, playing on his Nintendo DS.

“Oh, this looks much better!” I remarked as I looked around the room. There were still a few toys out, but I picked them up and put them away for him. “What are you playing?”

“Spider-Man,” Logan said, still looking at the screen.

“Well, it’s time to turn it off so I can help you make your bed. Then, we can go see Grayson, okay?”

Logan groaned but followed my instructions.

ParkHereJimin

Kpop Stan
Norwood, OH or Kim Seok-Jin's private jet
Website
www.twitter.com
Credits
JinJin
Shinwon
MJ
Choerry
Chapter 2

After we made his bed, Logan and I walked across the street to Mi-Sook’s house. When we got there, Mi-Sook’s fiancé, Elliott, opened the door for us.

“Hey there, y’all!” he greeted, letting us in. “I’ll call Grayson.”

Elliott called out to Grayson that Logan was here to play, and Grayson, who’d apparently had his long hair turned into a cute pageboy cut, came running down the stairs. Mi-Sook followed shortly, her hair in long braided pigtails.

“Logan!” Grayson squealed. “I gots a new playset for my birfday!”

“Awesome!” Logan said. “Let’s play! Mommy, can me and Grayson play outside?”

“Let’s put sunscreen on first, boys,” Mi-Sook said. “It’s about 80 degrees, and the sun is very hot today.”

After we put sunscreen on the boys, Mi-Sook and I took them outside to play while we sat and talked on the patio as we supervised.

“So, you have something for me to translate, huh?” Mi-Sook asked me.

“Yeah, Logan found a Korean-written letter I got from an old friend.” I pulled the note out of my purse and gave it to her, and Mi-Sook started to smile brightly as she read it. “What’s with the big smile?”

Mi-Sook giggled. “It basically says he likes you and wants to keep in touch! What was his name?”

“Chae Hyung-Won,” I replied. As I said this, Mi-Sook’s jaw dropped.

“Do you mean the Monsta X member?! I love Monsta X!”

I scratched the back of my head in confusion. “Who?”

“Monsta X – they’re a Korean pop group, and one of their members is called Chae Hyung-Won! They’ve only been around for a couple years, but they’re already gaining popularity. You should check them out!”

“How do you know this is the same Chae Hyung-Won I was classmates with at school? He could be anybody!”

“Okay, you do have a good point – Chae is a very common surname in Korea. But I still urge you to give this band a listen. In fact, I’ve got tickets to their show in Atlanta tomorrow; I was going to take Elliott and call it a date night, but maybe you could come instead.”

“Hmm…” I said as I considered this. “I do love a good concert…”

“So you’ll come?”

“Sure, why not?”

The next day, Mi-Sook and I headed downtown for the concert, as well as dinner at Cracker Barrel. At the restaurant, we were seated at a table right next to one of the booths, which was occupied by seven Asian guys having a laugh and engaging in a Korean-spoken conversation. There was a pause as one of the guys turned to stare at me for a moment, but then he turned back to the group and the chatter continued.

“What are they saying?” I asked Mi-Sook out of curiosity.

“Nothing to worry about,” she said. “They’re just talking about how pretty you are.”

~~~~~

Hyung-Won

My bandmates and I were joking around with each other as we ate when I caught sight of a white girl and her Asian friend being seated at the table next to us. The white girl looked a lot like Sabrina Duffy, my best friend from high school, but I couldn’t bring myself to start talking to her, because I already have a new girlfriend and was afraid I’d get a bad reputation if we broke up like this.

I had met my girlfriend, Chin Sang-Hee, when she was a trainee at the same time I was. While I made my debut in Monsta X, she debuted as a solo singer. We’ve been together since then, and we have a two-year-old daughter named Chae Hwa-Young.

“What are you looking at, Hyung-Won-ssi?” Chang-Kyun asked me in Korean. He’s our maknae, which means he’s the youngest member, and he’s also the lead rapper.

“That girl over there,” I replied in Korean, finally turning my gaze back to the group. “She looks a lot like a girl I went to high school with. Her name was Sabrina Duffy.”

“Well, why don’t you go talk to her, then?” Ki-Hyun, one of our vocalists, suggested.

I sighed. “Sang-Hee would kill me. And even if I was single, what if she doesn’t remember me?”

“Do it! What have you got to lose?”

“My dignity, that’s what!” I buried my head in my hands in frustration, and Shownu put a hand on my back.

“Hyung-Won-ssi, you don’t know unless you try! Just say, ‘Hello, I don’t know if you remember me, but it’s Chae Hyung-Won from high school.’”

“Take a deep breath, relax yourself, and go on over there,” Joo-Heon instructed. I obeyed and slowly made my way to talk to the girl and her friend.

~~~~~

Sabrina

Mi-Sook and I were chatting while we waited for our food when the guy who’d been staring at me came up to join us. He cleared his throat before speaking up.

“Hello,” he said in English. “I… do you remember me? It’s, ah…” He hesitated, and I could tell he was extremely nervous. “D-did you happen to go to Loganville High, by any chance?”

“Yeah, why?” I said.

“So did I,” he said. “Your name is not Sabrina Duffy, is it?”

It was then that I realized I was staring directly at Chae Hyung-Won! “My God, I DO remember you!” I said. “You’re the one who gave me that note before you moved!”

“Yes, it’s Chae Hyung-Won! I am sorry about my nervousness. I was so afraid you wouldn’t remember. Did you ever have it translated?”

“Not until now, actually. I would’ve gotten it done sooner, but life kept getting in the way.”

“I understand.”

“So, you really like me?”

“I did, but now I’ve moved on to somebody else; I couldn’t wait forever. Her name is Chin Sang-Hee.” My smile faded, and Hyung-Won continued. “I’m sorry, Sabrina-ssi… but we can always just be friends.”

I whipped around and glared at Mi-Sook. “Is this true?!” I demanded.

“Yes, I’m sorry,” Mi-Sook said. “I didn’t want to upset you.”

“You’re lucky our sons are besties,” I said sternly.

“Are you coming to our show tonight?” Hyung-Won asked.

“Of course!” Mi-Sook affirmed. “I’m a huge fan, especially of Ki-Hyun!”

“Great! Where are your seats?”

“Front and center. I can’t wait to see you perform!”

“And we can’t wait to perform for you. Annyeong!”

“Annyeong,” Mi-Sook repeated.