Eunha and The Blue Butterflies: A Gfriend MV Theory

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
everafterentertainment.carrd.co
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
I would normally put this in my regular theories thread, but I feel like more people would read it this way...idk? It's also not quite bizarre enough for the thread, and very different from anything I had written before.

I am going to be going over the imagery of Eunha and blue butterflies seen in several Gfriend music videos. Then connecting any kind of symbolism in the usage of this image.
Just some general info on the symbolism of butterflies: Butterflies are used to express transformation and change. Butterflies can also be found in the Chaos Theory, also known as The Butterfly Effect. The Chaos Theory states that the smallest thing, such as a butterfly flapping it's wings, can cause a huge event on the other side of the world, such as a hurricane. So this also adds the element of butterflies being symbolism of a controller of life.
I think I will be covering every mv that has a solo shot with Eunha with blue butterflies, so if I miss one let me know. I will be doing this in chronological order.

1. Fingertip MV
Part 1: The first couple seconds of this mv is Eunha on a roof top, chasing after this blue butterfly. Eventually she catches it and it disappears in this little blue explosion.
Analysis: Eunha chasing after the butterfly represents her desire to transform and change. This is very fitting especially for the 'Fingertip' mv. This song was the first time Gfriend really took on a different concept other than the ones from their previous releases. It was darker and less cute. It also had more rock elements in the song. Gfriend very much became butterflies in this mv and transformed themselves.

Part 2: A little past 3 minutes in the mv Eunha can be seen releasing a blue butterfly from a glass case. It flies into the air and Eunha reaches for it. Then the scene shifts to Yuju floating off a bed reaching for that same butterfly.
Analysis: Eunha releasing the butterfly represents how she has transformed successfully, but is hesitant to let go of the factors that help her to get there. She is also releasing the butterfly to allow for others to have the same transformation. We see Yuju reaching for this desire to transform in the next scene.

Part 3: Sowon and Umji have the butterflies in their hair.
Analysis: This means they also have already transformed themselves.

Part 4: Eunha is again releasing the butterfly and steps off of the roof she is standing on, with SinB and Yerin reaching for her. She falls with her eyes closed and arms open. She lands on a bed and looks around, not knowing where she is.
Analysis: This represents Eunha feeling transformed and wanting to move onto the next stage of her life, or Gfriend's career. SinB and Yerin represent Gfriend's reputation and previously established concepts not wanting to change. When she falls it is meant to represent a butterfly flying. When she lands she doesn't know where she is, representing her transformation and introduction to an entirely new side of Gfriend.

Overall Analysis: Fingertip's use of the butterfly really represents how much they did transform in sound, concept, and their reputation as a group.

2. Crossroads MV
Part 1: In first few seconds we see Eunha with a blue butterfly on her finger that falls away. Then she directly replicates a scene from 'Fingertip' where she walks backward and falls off the roof.
Analysis: This represents Gfriend's transformation again with the 'Crossroads' MV. Although they don't change their concept much, the plot of their music video is very different. It involves no dancing or singing and a more angsty plot compared to their usual bright and cute story lines. This is also Gfriend's first comeback since joining Big Hit, so it could also represent their transformation by being under a different company and having to learn it's way of life. She steps off the roof and flies like a butterfly again, and lands on a bed, representing her entrance to a whole new world.

Part 2: Eunha pulls a box out that has several dead or fake blue butterflies in it. She seems nostalgic and looks in the mirror at herself, as if remember a past Gfriend.
Analysis: This scene represents the reflection on Gfriends previous concepts and transformations at their music. She looks in the member to show that she sees herself/Gfriend as a completely new group and is having a hard time seeing her previous self, when they first debuted. I think this is why 'Crossroads' is a song that isn't very different from what they would normally release, unlike 'Fingertip'. 'Crossroads' seems to me more like a return to their roots, and the dead butterflies represents how they have grown as a group.

Part 3: Eunha encounters a butterfly again and it flies to a different area of the room. In between shots there is almost a state of chaos with the shaking of the jars and Eunha staring straight ahead as everyone walks past her.
Analysis: I think this represents the stress that Gfriend feels to present different concepts. People are always saying that Gfriend's songs all sound the say (not true), so there has to be some stress to transform in order to satisfy the fans.

Overall Analysis: 'Crossroads' uses the butterfly imagery this time to represent the change they have made via company and their style of MV filming. They also use it to show how stressful it can be to have people wanting you to constantly transform, and that they just want to release the music that is Gfriend.

3. Apple MV
Part 1: There are various appearances of the butterfly throughout this MV. On an oversized 'Apple', flying away from Yerin, and Yuju blowing out smoke with one on her hand.
Analysis: This represents Gfriend going through another transformation. Each scene is so different from what we would normally see from Gfriend. Using the butterfly kinda emphasizes the fact that Gfriend isn't just one thing, it kinda rubs it in the haters face that they can transform and grow.

Part 2: Eunha walks into a room, looking like she is attending a funeral. She opens a box and many blue butterflies fly out. The box also contains an apple.
Analysis: To me this is Gfriend saying 'We don't need you anymore, we have found ourselves our own way'. They don't need fans or others to tell them to transform, because they know how to do it themselves. Eunha dressed like she's going to a funeral just emphasizes this fact. She is saying goodbye to the constant calls for Gfriend to do something different.

Overall Analysis: 'Apple' uses butterflies to represent the change they were able to make by themselves. They are saying, 'We don't need your help to change, while also being ourselves". The message is just very sassy to me.

Analysis of 1-3: Gfriend uses butterflies excellently to describe their ability to transform in concept (Fingertip), reflect on the changes they have made and make a return to their roots (Crossroads), and to show the public that they are capable of change without people shaming them into it (Apple). It's a whole adventure of finding oneself. They try to be what others want and change, they return to their true selves where they feel most comfortable, and finally they discover a way to evolve themselves and find a new way to define themselves as Gfriend.

Thank you so much for reading this! I hope it made sense to you and you found it interesting! 💜 Stan Gfriend! 💜

jenosimp

johnny su(h)premacy
Credits
Cherries
Heart Jewel
Pink Rose
Chocolate Strawberry
this was very interesting and well thought out, u are very smart lol
nice work, i enjoy reading all of ur theories, they always amaze me❤

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author