Do you think Non-Asian people changing their names to Asian names is an example of cultural appropriation?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Iz*Grass

β™‘ 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇-π“ˆπ‘’π’Άπ“‡π’Έπ’½π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘” β™‘
Author
My friend brought this up to me on discord and while we reached an agreement in our views, I was wondering what everyone else thought?
What's your opinion from a non-Asian/Asian perspective?

LostInTheDream

🧚Iα‘Žα—©α‘•TIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
everafterentertainment.carrd.co
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
I wouldn't view it as such as the exact opposite happens. Asian people take on English names. I think that as long as you aren't disrespecting the culture or misrepresenting it in someway then it's not really cultural appropriation. Also if the part of the culture is sacred. But I wouldn't view names as cultural appropriation. Even in Korean, there are parents giving their children more American names like Daniel and Jennie.

lynch.

NOT EVEN GHOSTS ARE THIS EMPTY
Credits
User Title Change
User Title Change
✧ Emo Spongebob ✧
Username Change
I don't see a problem with it because like Tara said, even in Korea there are parents who give their children more Western names. As long as you aren't being offensive or being disrespectful, I don't think it's an issue.

boo

Kpop Fan
Credits
It’s a little weird but not cultural appropriation. The only time I feel like it would make sense to do that is if you’re going to an Asian country and you don’t want to give them trouble with your name

Mikasa Ackerman

πŸ•ŠοΈπŸ§£πŸš
Staff member
Editor
Author
Website
www.instagram.com
Credits
✧ Reki Kyan ✧
✧ Attack on Titan ✧
Vernon
Wonwoo
As an Asian, I don't think it's bad as long as you don't disrespect and take them for joke. It wouldn't be weird, if there is a valid reason behind it. I even have friends and who have English names, including me whose surname is a Western one. So, I don't think that this factor is something related to cultural appropriation.

Hobicore

Kpop Rookie
Credits
I agree as an Asian Myself. My Real Name In Yu-Jin But My English name I go by is Jasmine. So no In my view point I don't think it's Cultural Appropriation.

ChenXiao

Face of The Group
Credits
Gong Myung
β˜† NCT 127 - Sticker [Ver. B] β˜†
β˜† NCT 127 - Sticker [Ver. A] β˜†
Horyeong
I chose my name quite literally because I wanted something original - its Chinese but i don't hate against the culture or anything related to China. Even tho I'm not from China, I think its ok to have an Asian username because, to me, it just shows that you embrace other cultures.

anmybeloved

silas
Author
Credits
Well- My birth name M****** Co-Unjen Abalos is Filipino, I used to go by E*** when I came to the US so for someone to change their name from like Sara to Soo-Jin I wouldn't find to be cultural appropriation because I did the same thing, basically

Iz*Grass

β™‘ 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇-π“ˆπ‘’π’Άπ“‡π’Έπ’½π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘” β™‘
Author
I think there has to be a line drawn at how much one respects the culture and educates themselves about it before changing their name. It's fine when someone wants to change their name, but at least learn about the culture and understand where the name came from.

(btw, "name" refers to one's real name and name on their birth certificate...not username ^^)

escapism

𝙩𝙀𝙀 π™¨π™¬π™šπ™šπ™© 🀍
Staff member
iShop Manager
Editor
Author
V.I.P.
Credits
✧ Captain Price ✧
Death Note
I don't think that would be cultural appropriation but it also doesn't make much sense to me? I mean unless you live in an Asian country why would you feel the need to change your name to an Asian one? Some kpop idols for example have english names because they got global recognition. If it's for aesthetic purposes only then I'm not sure how appropriate it would be.

ec.li.ps.e

Kpop Stan
Credits
Handong
Siyeon
Gahyeon
SuA
It's a very slippery slope. There's been a lot of discourse recently around people engaging in Asian culture -- specifically Japanese -- for aesthetic purposes, which is really weird imo. You're reducing an entire identity to an aesthetic and it's just weird. It would be weird to do that to American culture or British culture or German culture, so why is it okay in reverse? Of course, if done respectfully and with intent and knowledge, it's fine. It's a matter of intent imo

Kdramajunkiee

Osmanthus Wine 🍷
Staff member
Website
www.instagram.com
Credits
D.Min
Jumin
Baal/Ei
Zhongli
What if it was given to you by an Asian? I am following a Korean Teacher that teaches Korean who GAVE me a Korean name that has a similar meaning to my own. I mean I don't expect to be adressed by it, but just like learning a language in the US some teachers ask the students to choose a name originating in the language they are learning.

pika_chuu

❀️WH0 CARES❀️
Author
Website
rxseglass.carrd.co
Credits
Sheep Plush
Leona Kingscholar
Undertaker
Denki Kaminari
It depends. For example, I would not view my own name as cultural appropriation. I am a trans male, and I have always loved My Hero Academia. I chose the name Denki for myself, even as a white person, because I identified so strongly with the character. It makes me feel like myself. In cases like this, I do not view it as cultural appropriation. However, I do think that a great deal of though and respect should be put into the name choosing, and not just for the aesthetic.

moonlight

μ§€μœ 
Staff member
Credits
Cat Chasing A Heart
Cat Yawn
irdc if a person does
if they crossed the line tho then....yeah yk what happens lol