~* Are girl groups more underrated than boy groups? *~

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

piscesigh

Maknae
Website
twitter.com
Credits
Wooseok
Dean
Woodz
Jungwoo
I constantly see comments on social media about how girl groups often go underappreciated and sometimes even get attacked despite not doing anything to deserve it.
What's your take on this? Do you think that girl groups are more underrated than boy groups? If so, why do you think this happens?

renejayde

Kpop Groupie
Author
Website
twitter.com
Credits
Yuta
Lucas
Jungwoo
Changbin
I agree with what everyone else has said with it being to do with the companies the groups are from and how much promotion they do, but in saying that I do seem to come across a lot more underrated/less known ggs than bgs

piscesigh

Maknae
Website
twitter.com
Credits
Wooseok
Dean
Woodz
Jungwoo
I agree with what everyone else has said with it being to do with the companies the groups are from and how much promotion they do, but in saying that I do seem to come across a lot more underrated/less known ggs than bgs
Same here. I also believe it's because of this stereotype of women they have over there, so if they don't fit immediately in the set standard then it's a bye-bye.

Nt1naM12

Kpop Groupie
Credits
Albedo/Kreideprinz
Beidou
Jungwoo
Lucas
I believe that both bg and gg are equally underrated, as most people think. It's not their fault for being not so famous etc. but the companies fault for not doing a good job so idols can show their talents and do their job as performers!
Also for gg I think that-I'm not so sure though and please don't misunderstand-some people are so stereotypical about being thin, beautiful and with good vocals or dance skills etc.

piscesigh

Maknae
Website
twitter.com
Credits
Wooseok
Dean
Woodz
Jungwoo
I believe that both bg and gg are equally underrated, as most people think. It's not their fault for being not so famous etc. but the companies fault for not doing a good job so idols can show their talents and do their job as performers!
Also for gg I think that-I'm not so sure though and please don't misunderstand-some people are so stereotypical about being thin, beautiful and with good vocals or dance skills etc.
I fully agree with the stereotypical thing, that's why I feel that if they don't fit in that standard, then that's it for them. There are many gg that play with other concepts (for example, H.U.B) but they aren't well known because they are not your typical korean magazine girl. It's so sad but that's how industry works sigh

OppaIsTrash

Kpop Expert
Website
twitter.com
Credits
☆ SEVENTEEN - Rock With You [Ver. D] ☆
Wonho
while being from a small company and how a company manages its artists do play their part in whether an artist is "underrated", that doesn't explain why girl groups and female artists are often criticized more than their male counterparts. that's plain old sexism, sometimes up to straight-up misogyny.
most everywhere women are held to different standards than men and often are criticized for the same things men get praised for.
when irene's male fans started burning pictures of her because she said she read a feminist book, the fact that she is from a top company didn't shield her from the misogyny of that reaction.
when i see international fans, particularly western and women fans, actively avoiding female kpop artists, that's a gendered response that has nothing to do with them being from a small company or being poorly promoted.

at any rate, i don't know that i would go so far as to say that girl groups are underrated compared to boy groups outside of international fan circles. i don't live in south korea or japan even, but it seems to me that often times the general public in south korea is more aware of girl groups/their songs than boy groups/their songs. this is somewhat generalized and here i do say that company influence and promotion play a big part, but generally speaking, (from what i know) its been considered a truism in kpop that girl groups do better on digital charts/sales and boy groups do better in physical sales. boy groups focus on building a dedicated fanbase while girl groups focus on appealing to the general public; this affects the way companies promote them. its why companies often only focus on one girl group at a time, so that they don't end up competing against each other for the public's attention.

ultimately, boy groups and girl groups are marketed differently, so they produce different results. that said, due to sexism/misogyny, girl groups will always face certain difficulties that boy groups don't have to face.

piscesigh

Maknae
Website
twitter.com
Credits
Wooseok
Dean
Woodz
Jungwoo
while being from a small company and how a company manages its artists do play their part in whether an artist is "underrated", that doesn't explain why girl groups and female artists are often criticized more than their male counterparts. that's plain old sexism, sometimes up to straight-up misogyny.
most everywhere women are held to different standards than men and often are criticized for the same things men get praised for.
when irene's male fans started burning pictures of her because she said she read a feminist book, the fact that she is from a top company didn't shield her from the misogyny of that reaction.
when i see international fans, particularly western and women fans, actively avoiding female kpop artists, that's a gendered response that has nothing to do with them being from a small company or being poorly promoted.

at any rate, i don't know that i would go so far as to say that girl groups are underrated compared to boy groups outside of international fan circles. i don't live in south korea or japan even, but it seems to me that often times the general public in south korea is more aware of girl groups/their songs than boy groups/their songs. this is somewhat generalized and here i do say that company influence and promotion play a big part, but generally speaking, (from what i know) its been considered a truism in kpop that girl groups do better on digital charts/sales and boy groups do better in physical sales. boy groups focus on building a dedicated fanbase while girl groups focus on appealing to the general public; this affects the way companies promote them. its why companies often only focus on one girl group at a time, so that they don't end up competing against each other for the public's attention.

ultimately, boy groups and girl groups are marketed differently, so they produce different results. that said, due to sexism/misogyny, girl groups will always face certain difficulties that boy groups don't have to face.
This might just be my favorite reply ever.
I tend to see this misogyny as well, where people feel always entitled to criticize girl groups and their appearances. Same to the not fully know how this works in Korean culture, but it's true that the stereotype they push onto girls (boys too, but it's stronger on girls) is awful. I still remember that one show where Amber had to stood up because a guy was criticizing all the girls bodies telling them what they had to change in order to become more "attractive". That small act happens constantly and worldwide. And it's not only guys, but girls as well! We, many times unconsciously because of the society we were raised in, promote all this misogynistic messages and keep the patriarchy up. Luckily, more awareness is happening and it's slightly decreasing, but the price it's pretty high sometimes...

Nt1naM12

Kpop Groupie
Credits
Albedo/Kreideprinz
Beidou
Jungwoo
Lucas
I fully agree with the stereotypical thing, that's why I feel that if they don't fit in that standard, then that's it for them. There are many gg that play with other concepts (for example, H.U.B) but they aren't well known because they are not your typical korean magazine girl. It's so sad but that's how industry works sigh
True story revieled! 😔 *sigh*

Nt1naM12

Kpop Groupie
Credits
Albedo/Kreideprinz
Beidou
Jungwoo
Lucas

I totally agree with your point of view and I believe that this represents the majority of peoples thoughts about this issue! 👏
👏 Bravo! 👏👏

Last edited:

Nt1naM12

Kpop Groupie
Credits
Albedo/Kreideprinz
Beidou
Jungwoo
Lucas
DarkJealousGypsymoth-small.gif