Aespa's Giselle Finds Herself in Another Controversy

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sanasideup

divin’ to the galaxy with you
Staff member
Editor
Website
pinkbarbiebandaid.carrd.co
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
Aespa's Giselle has once again found herself as the center of another controversy, just 2 months after her October controversy.

In a YouTube video uploaded by Vogue Magazine, the Aespa members visited the top deck of the Empire State Building. As they approached the edge, Giselle could be heard saying,
"I'm going to commit ******* if my phone drops."
Vogue translated this statement as, "I would die if my phone drops," in their subtitles. However, Giselle used the Korean term for su!c!de in her remark.

Many people found her remark to be careless and felt that she was taking a serious issue too lightly, saying:
"Although you may use these terms in private with friends, you should be careful when you are in front of the camera."
"I really hate phrases like, 'I want to go to Han River' or 'You can catch cancer' so it's really disappointing."

Others felt that Vogue should have edited her statement out entirely, thus preventing the issue. Still other netizens were impressed by her Korean slang skills, saying it is the equivalent of "I would die if [something happened]" in English.

What do you think?

A/N: I think her remark was insensitive, yes, but not that big of a deal. People say things like "I'm going to kms" both online and in everyday speech. Giselle is also young. That doesn't excuse it, but that kind of language is common among ppl her age (21).I think some ppl are overreacting. Non-idols says this all the time.

ec.li.ps.e.138

Kpop Expert
Credits
At this point it kinda feels like people are going out of their way to hate aespa. Like, yeah, it's kind of insensitive, but it's also perfectly normal for people to say? Their outrage is misplaced and if anything they should be concerned because jokes like these, although normalized, are often a sign of deeper trouble?

lynch.

NOT EVEN GHOSTS ARE THIS EMPTY
Credits
User Title Change
User Title Change
✧ Emo Spongebob ✧
Username Change
su!cide jokes arent funny and i hate how this term is normalized, like no Jessica, dont fucking say ur gonna kys if your phone dies. It's insensitive to people who have actually committed unalive and others who've attempted. Plus you guys really love to act like she isn't fully grown adult, like i get she's still young but dude she should still know better as an adult. I love aespa, don't get me wrong, but this is downright disrespectful, and I'm not gonna sit here and keep excusing idols for their ignorance. Idols need to be held accountable, and treating them like they're still children isn't going to do these these "scandals" any good. Idols need to be educated on things like this and just other things in general. Scandals like this aren't good for the idols image, the groups image, and even the companys image

Sorry for the rant, but im tired of idols being ignorant and netizens casually excusing them because they didn't know. It's really upsetting.

risa❀은혜

Kpop Expert
Website
risasrenjun.carrd.co
Credits
New Jeans
Seungkwan
Caratbong
Kim Man Bong
su!cide jokes arent funny and i hate how this term is normalized, like no Jessica, dont fucking say ur gonna kys if your phone dies. It's insensitive to people who have actually committed unalive and others who've attempted. Plus you guys really love to act like she isn't fully grown adult, like i get she's still young but dude she should still know better as an adult. I love aespa, don't get me wrong, but this is downright disrespectful, and I'm not gonna sit here and keep excusing idols for their ignorance. Idols need to be held accountable, and treating them like they're still children isn't going to do these these "scandals" any good. Idols need to be educated on things like this and just other things in general. Scandals like this aren't good for the idols image, the groups image, and even the companys image

Sorry for the rant, but im tired of idols being ignorant and netizens casually excusing them because they didn't know. It's really upsetting.
I definitely agree. It always makes me uncomfortable when people make those jokes, I've had multiple friends try to unalive themselves and these comments make me so uncomfortable as it makes me think of it. Not just for idol's image, but just people in general should stop saying that stuff.

lynch.

Credits
User Title Change
User Title Change
✧ Emo Spongebob ✧
Username Change
I definitely agree. It always makes me uncomfortable when people make those jokes, I've had multiple friends try to unalive themselves and these comments make me so uncomfortable as it makes me think of it. Not just for idol's image, but just people in general should stop saying that stuff.
this ^^^^^^^ its so gross how normalized it is to say things like this, let alone even joke about things like this. I don't care if it's "normal to say things like this", why is it normal in the first place ?? That's the problem

risa❀은혜

Kpop Expert
Website
risasrenjun.carrd.co
Credits
New Jeans
Seungkwan
Caratbong
Kim Man Bong
this ^^^^^^^ its so gross how normalized it is to say things like this, let alone even joke about things like this. I don't care if it's "normal to say things like this", why is it normal in the first place ?? That's the problem
Exactly. And it feels so awkward when i've had to ask someone not to say those things to me even though i'm not really doing anything wrong

lynch.

Credits
User Title Change
User Title Change
✧ Emo Spongebob ✧
Username Change
Exactly. And it feels so awkward when i've had to ask someone not to say those things to me even though i'm not really doing anything wrong
ikr, i always feel the same. Like i dont wanna act overly sensitive but in my head i know for sure people shouldn't be normalizing jokes about unaliving

sanasideup

divin’ to the galaxy with you
Staff member
Editor
Website
pinkbarbiebandaid.carrd.co
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
this! my problem wasn't with giselle. no, she should never have joked abt that, but my bigger problem was with society as a whole, bc ppl have normalized this to the point most ppl don't even blink an eye.