҉  Official Unpopular Kpop Opinions Thread ҉ 

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chaechae.core

Band Manager
Website
mintchocochaechae.carrd.co
Credits
Growing Heart
Chaeyoung
Felix
Chaewon
Hm yeah, a personal disagree here. I really love so many of their bsides. Like goddamn THE GUESS WHO BSIDES <333. I could go on. But if that's your opinion that's okay. My main post was about their title tracks since most casual stans will only listen to the title tracks and promoted bsides.

Sneakers is easily argued to be cringy. But like, to me, there's nothing really wrong with Boys Like You. Sure it's not special but it's not TORTUROUS AWFUL MY EARS ARE BLEEDING. People keep saying they want old ITZY back, but they do have some bsides with similar vibes to BLY. Voltage isn't my personal favourite song but again, there's nothing obviously wrong with it. People just loveee to hate ITZY. I get if they're not people's style but like it's so overexaggurated with them
lol i loved voltage and blah blah blah

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
everafterentertainment.carrd.co
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
I don't think NewJean's Y2K concept will last them very long. Meaning there is only so much you can do with a concept that is based on a past trend. Furthermore, this trend is popular right now, but with the way trends cycle, it won't always be the most popular thing. Also, this concept works so well with this group because all of the members are young and genz. Y2K is incredibly popular in this demographic. But as people age they eventually move onto a different trend or phase.
Similar to the retro concept every group was doing (1970s-1980s), it only lasted them about 1 concept. It's because there isn't much you can do with it, and it eventually feels meaningless and empty.
Sure they could change their concept, but they're focusing so heavily on Y2K right now that I feel that it would be too jarring for fans.
For example if Twice had gone from their cute concept to something like Boombayah, instead of girly and classy with Fancy and Feel Special. This would be so confusing and would probably cause Onces to revolt. Similar to what happened with Weeekly and Ven Para.
I just don't think their concept choice was a smart decision when considering the long run.

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
idk if this is unpopular but I'm really disappointed that YooA is switching her concept for her solo comeback. She debuted with this really beautiful land fairy concept thing that was unique and really suited her. Now she's (or being made to) taking the Y2K route. Sure she's just following a trend, but trends die! This comeback will hurt her image by making her blend in with the rest of the Y2K concepts. I wish she had just stuck with her original concept. It did bring her success too! I'm pretty sure she got at least 1 win from it.

yawnzzn

Band Leader
Credits
CHERRY
My Melody
Kuromi
Pompompurin
I don't think NewJean's Y2K concept will last them very long. Meaning there is only so much you can do with a concept that is based on a past trend. Furthermore, this trend is popular right now, but with the way trends cycle, it won't always be the most popular thing. Also, this concept works so well with this group because all of the members are young and genz. Y2K is incredibly popular in this demographic. But as people age they eventually move onto a different trend or phase.
Similar to the retro concept every group was doing (1970s-1980s), it only lasted them about 1 concept. It's because there isn't much you can do with it, and it eventually feels meaningless and empty.
Sure they could change their concept, but they're focusing so heavily on Y2K right now that I feel that it would be too jarring for fans.
For example if Twice had gone from their cute concept to something like Boombayah, instead of girly and classy with Fancy and Feel Special. This would be so confusing and would probably cause Onces to revolt. Similar to what happened with Weeekly and Ven Para.
I just don't think their concept choice was a smart decision when considering the long run.
i disagree, not because i am a newjeans stan but because y2k has always been around and there are many different forms of it (take newjeans and tripleS for example, same overall concept. but completely different aesthetic wise), just like the retro concept. when i think of the retro concept, i think Wonder Girls, who stuck to it their entire careers and tried out so many different kinds of retro aesthetics. I also think Shinee. Shinee have, until recently, had that retro funky style of music especially Jonghyun. Western artists like Tinashe have kept the Y2K concept for years (i mean YEARS) before it even got extremely popular with gen z. I feel like their concept will age gracefully. Wonder Girls and Shinee are icons with iconic hits are still hold up today. Newjeans' music doesn't have a specific musical time period, only their aesthetic does and that can be reorganized very easily especially with Min Heejin on their team (even tho I do not like her at all, she is very creative. wish she'd use that creativity on concepts for older ppl). The only reason the huge retro wave of 2020 ended so quickly is because it was nothing but a cash grab trying to appeal to the biggest trends at the time, not trying anything different. Not to mention, there will always be a room in kpop for concepts that invoke nostalgia. Newjeans is the perfect blend of modern aesthetic with 2000's sensibility. I feel like unless the next trend the the polar opposite of Y2K (idk something like dull colors, anti technology, and anti youth), it will last for some time. i do think it will be interesting to see what happens in the future tho because we really never know.

LostInTheDream

🧚IᑎᗩᑕTIᐯE🧚
Author
Website
Credits
Chaewon
IU
Alice
Kim Man Bong
i disagree, not because i am a newjeans stan but because y2k has always been around and there are many different forms of it (take newjeans and tripleS for example, same overall concept. but completely different aesthetic wise), just like the retro concept. when i think of the retro concept, i think Wonder Girls, who stuck to it their entire careers and tried out so many different kinds of retro aesthetics. I also think Shinee. Shinee have, until recently, had that retro funky style of music especially Jonghyun. Western artists like Tinashe have kept the Y2K concept for years (i mean YEARS) before it even got extremely popular with gen z. I feel like their concept will age gracefully. Wonder Girls and Shinee are icons with iconic hits are still hold up today. Newjeans' music doesn't have a specific musical time period, only their aesthetic does and that can be reorganized very easily especially with Min Heejin on their team (even tho I do not like her at all, she is very creative. wish she'd use that creativity on concepts for older ppl). The only reason the huge retro wave of 2020 ended so quickly is because it was nothing but a cash grab trying to appeal to the biggest trends at the time, not trying anything different. Not to mention, there will always be a room in kpop for concepts that invoke nostalgia. Newjeans is the perfect blend of modern aesthetic with 2000's sensibility. I feel like unless the next trend the the polar opposite of Y2K (idk something like dull colors, anti technology, and anti youth), it will last for some time. i do think it will be interesting to see what happens in the future tho because we really never know.
While I do respect your opinion and think your explanation is well planned out, I still stand by my opinion for the most part. I do agree with your mention of Wonder Girls. If NewJeans are able to mature their retro concept across different decades then they could have a successful career. What makes me nervous about the Y2K concept specifically is that everyone (sarcasm) is doing it. Artists like Yena, Chaeyeon, and NewJeans are debuting with it, Twice had a Y2K comeback, YooA completely changed her perfect and unique concept to do Y2K, and I'm sure there are more. NewJeans are an incredibly successful group right now, but I think with how saturated this concept is they will either become the leaders of it or they will go missing. If everyone starts doing the same thing as them then it isn't going to be new or original anymore. To avoid this they would have to switch to another period of time or stick it out and try to add a secondary creative element. Right now the Y2K concept seems to be pretty minimal in terms of what can be done with it in kpop. For the most part it is just the chunky cellphones, sparkly lip gloss, chokers, etc. So sure NewJeans could expand out of this. This is similar to what Wonder Girls did with going from songs like "Nobody", "Why So Lonely", and "So Hot". But with the way they are currently being styled, I don't think that they plan on mixing anything up anytime soon.
So I guess to conclude, yeah NewJeans could be successful with a Y2K concept, but they would have to be incredibly creative with it so that they stand out enough. Or they would have to adopt a concept similar to Wonder Girls where they pick different eras to reflect their music in. We'll just have to wait and see what they do.

sanasideup

divin’ to the galaxy with you
Staff member
Editor
Website
pinkbarbiebandaid.carrd.co
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
i don't lee mujin. i think he's annoying and the way he spoke to han when he was on the show was straight up rude and insulting. (for anyone who hasn't seen, he was implying, and pretty much outright said, that bc han's primarily role is rapper, he thought han would be a bad singer and shouldn't be on the show. even tho han has also had a vocalist role for yrs and is far from bad. the way he spoke abt han homeschooling in malaysia was strange, and i personally got the impression that lee mujin thought less of him bc of it, for whatever reason). i literally only watch his show for the featuring idols and skip when he talks so i can just hear the covers.

sanasideup

divin’ to the galaxy with you
Staff member
Editor
Website
pinkbarbiebandaid.carrd.co
Credits
Sango
AleXa
Eunchae
Garam
Everglow would be way more popular if Yuehua promoted them in China, how come their songs don't have Chinese versions? Like why? Uniq did so what's the excuse, you have a Chinese member and everything sooo?
mandarin is such a pretty language, i'd kill for chinese versions of everglow's songs

Pbioilp

Band Manager
Author
Website
pbioilp.carrd.co
Credits
Ahri
Call Call
Sihyeon
Everglow would be way more popular if Yuehua promoted them in China, how come their songs don't have Chinese versions? Like why? Uniq did so what's the excuse, you have a Chinese member and everything sooo?
Yuehua did promote them for a long time
Until like a year ago
When China blocked the options of Korean idols to perform in China without permissions from the government
And everglow songs does have a mandarin versions but by other yuehua artists

Elphelt_ᴠᴀʟᴇɴᴛɪɴᴇ

ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ʀᴀɪɴ
Staff member
iShop Manager
Editor
Website
shes-dreamin.carrd.co
Credits
Belle
Ezrael
Teolaegi
✧ Creamy Chanyeol ✧
Yuehua did promote them for a long time
Until like a year ago
When China blocked the options of Korean idols to perform in China without permissions from the government
And everglow songs does have a mandarin versions but by other yuehua artists
Oh? Where can I see these?!