Learning Korean

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

HeroHaikyu

Kpop Expert
Website
herohaikyu.carrd.co
Credits
Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
Green Tea
Hello~ I have been learning Korean for probably some of the shortest amounts of time, comparing to others, and I wanted to ask for the most effective places to learn a language. I want to learn the language efficiently, but I don't seem to be making too much progress. If you have any tips for learning the language as well as where I could learn it, it would be very appreciated.

I do already have something I'm using to learn it, but I think that learning from multiple places may be a little more efficient in remembering words in phrases. I'm not exactly sure how to make learning a foreign language, you can't touch directly, as efficient as I'd like. I learned Japanese from my family and English from living in America, but never something completely foreign like Korean. Motivation is something I lack in for most things, so I would also like to know what keeps others motivated, so I can figure out how to keep myself motivated in language learning.

This was a little all over the place, but if you could answer at least one of the questions I have, I would appreciate it. (I've bolded my questions because the way I write is confusing)

L

Love_alize071313

Hello~ I have been learning Korean for probably some of the shortest amounts of time, comparing to others, and I wanted to ask for the most effective places to learn a language. I want to learn the language efficiently, but I don't seem to be making too much progress. If you have any tips for learning the language as well as where I could learn it, it would be very appreciated.

I do already have something I'm using to learn it, but I think that learning from multiple places may be a little more efficient in remembering words in phrases. I'm not exactly sure how to make learning a foreign language, you can't touch directly, as efficient as I'd like. I learned Japanese from my family and English from living in America, but never something completely foreign like Korean. Motivation is something I lack in for most things, so I would also like to know what keeps others motivated, so I can figure out how to keep myself motivated in language learning.

This was a little all over the place, but if you could answer at least one of the questions I have, I would appreciate it. (I've bolded my questions because the way I write is confusing)
Hi! HI! HI!
Im currently teaching myself Korean and i will gladly give you tips! Lemme answer your questions and give some of my own advice really quick!

L

Love_alize071313

If you have any tips for learning the language as well as where I could learn it, it would be very appreciated.
Theres an app i use called 'Drops' and it is 5 minutes everyday to help you learn! I also have a 'Korean for dummies' book and a korean dictionary! It helps a lot to first learn the alphabet in korean (if you'd like help with that, you may pm me)
I would also like to know what keeps others motivated, so I can figure out how to keep myself motivated in language learning
[/QUOTE]
JYP keeps me motivated.. with every upload they put up and every week i have to fricking wait for subs... *sigh* also i really really wanna move to korea at some point so that motivates me ^^

HeroHaikyu

Kpop Expert
Website
herohaikyu.carrd.co
Credits
Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
Green Tea
Theres an app i use called 'Drops' and it is 5 minutes everyday to help you learn! I also have a 'Korean for dummies' book and a korean dictionary! It helps a lot to first learn the alphabet in korean (if you'd like help with that, you may pm me)
aaaaaaa- I'm sorry for not replying sooner ㅠㅠ Thank you so much! I'll look into "Drops" since I don't think I tried that one yet. Also, I think JYP and moving to Korea are both things that can keep me motivated, so thank you again :)

fishstiks__

Kpop Groupie
Website
fishstiks.carrd.co
Credits
Cya
Hongjoong
YangYang
Harin
i use the site/podcast talktomeinkorean.com i recommend listening to the podcast and taking notes as you listen and using the sheets they provide with the lessons (their youtube channel also has a lot of short videos that'll help)
i also use howtostudykorean.com the lessons are not too long and they provide information
duolingo is ok in but ion use it w/ korean because before vocab you have to do 100000000000000 hangul lessons

if you are good a writing hangul then another thing i do is write down song lyrics.
first i'll listen to a song and try to write everything down i hear, then go and find the official hangul and edit what i already have (it's kinda a mess but it's fun)

OOooH if you watch k-drama; if you use viki they have a learn option with the subtitles where it has the translation and the hangul too

what keeps me motivated? hmmmmmmmMmmm.... i'm lazy aF bUt i want to get into fantigo so i'm trying to study and take at least TOPIK 3 before i audition also when i'm watching something or listening to something w/o subs and i can understand i get really happy issa great feeling and it pushes me to study more

good luck with your studying! <3

HeroHaikyu

Kpop Expert
Website
herohaikyu.carrd.co
Credits
Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
Green Tea
i use the site/podcast talktomeinkorean.com i recommend listening to the podcast and taking notes as you listen and using the sheets they provide with the lessons (their youtube channel also has a lot of short videos that'll help)
i also use howtostudykorean.com the lessons are not too long and they provide information
duolingo is ok in but ion use it w/ korean because before vocab you have to do 100000000000000 hangul lessons

if you are good a writing hangul then another thing i do is write down song lyrics.
first i'll listen to a song and try to write everything down i hear, then go and find the official hangul and edit what i already have (it's kinda a mess but it's fun)

OOooH if you watch k-drama; if you use viki they have a learn option with the subtitles where it has the translation and the hangul too

what keeps me motivated? hmmmmmmmMmmm.... i'm lazy aF bUt i want to get into fantigo so i'm trying to study and take at least TOPIK 3 before i audition also when i'm watching something or listening to something w/o subs and i can understand i get really happy issa great feeling and it pushes me to study more

good luck with your studying! <3
Thank you :) I've never heard of those websites, so I'm going to go look into those, they sound like fun. Duolingo... I've learned the entire Korean alphabet (?), and I know how Duolingo starts with basically the same lessons over and over again, with the same symbols over and over again. I tried using it once to help improve my Japanese, but I never got anywhere with it, so I stopped using it. I think it might help me this time though since I'm kind of starting from scratch.

I've done the thing with song lyrics by listening and trying to write it down, but I honestly gave up half way through the first song I tried... I have copied down official song lyrics in Hangul though, so I think that helped me with typing them. Writing is a whole different story, but I think I can work on that with song lyrics s well. I've never watched K-Drama, but there's always room for something new. I've been interested in starting to watch so I'll look forward to watching on viki.

Fighting!! I'm sure you'll get into the company! I've never taken a TOPIK test, so that might be something I look forward to and work towards. I always feel proud of myself when I'm watching a video and then I understand some of it, even with the very few words I know in Korean. Thank you for your response :)